Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Good Folks Quilt Top

On Saturday night I put a new blade in the rotary cutter and went to work on a complete fat quarter collection of Anna Maria Horner's Good Folks. I received this as a present at least a year ago and Gregory was constantly going for it and throwing it on the floor. I really like her new collection, Innocent Crush, (is anyone else grateful it's coming out in a quilting weight cotton and not just that slippery voile!?) - so I figured I better get cracking on her "older stuff."

It takes a lot of patience to do that much cutting and I have to admit that I was not happy when my new rotary blade started to stop making clean, smooth cuts about halfway through!

I used Amy Butler's free Brick Road Path pattern with a simple alteration: I cut 9 of the rectangles in half to begin each column instead of having to eyeball the staggering of the rectangles and having 18 large half-rectangle scraps upon completion.

I feel that one drawback of this collection is that the prints would not mix well with other fabrics. But I have to say that I don't really love any of these prints individually - but they really "sing" when they are all mashed together.

So this brings me to 9, count them 9!!!!, unquilted quilt tops I have in my house. I am a hypocrite! I have to admit that I recently cast a critical eye on a prominent blogger who unveiled at least 5 unquilted quilt tops.... but here I am with more. (In my defense, I am really not in a position to go out and buy a bunch of backing fabric and batting right now, but I think the bigger truth is that I am still scared of quilting on my machine!)


Once again, I have pulled a bunch of fabrics from my stash to make an Urban Circus quilt top. This time I truly have a quilt pattern in mind. Although I didn't really like this pattern for Hope Valley, I think it might work well for a whimsical collection like UC.

I do have a bit of Kona White - but I am not sure if I should throw it in there.... I am leaning towards "no" - but please stop me if you think I should!

3 comments:

Monet said...

Beautiful, Laurie! And you're right--they do sing when they're together, but are difficult to use separately. I think I submitted one of them to our last fabric swap myself :)

Traci said...

That is completely stunning. So seriously gorgeous!!!! Is the voile really a pain to work with? I want to pick up a fat quarter pack of little folks before it's gone but I'm scared it would be wild to work with and keep straight
(My google account is old--my real craft blog is at http://www.realphotography.com/traci)

Traci said...

That is completely stunning. So seriously gorgeous!!!! Is the voile really a pain to work with? I want to pick up a fat quarter pack of little folks before it's gone but I'm scared it would be wild to work with and keep straight
(My google account is old--my real craft blog is at http://www.realphotography.com/traci)