Tuesday, February 18, 2014

We're here!

Hello friends!  I am in our new home in Colorado and slowly settling in to a whole new life with my family.  The last month or so has been so stressful and busy, I am glad that I am finally in a position to start establishing a routine for both myself and my kids.  The scenery is pretty different here: this is a picture of Pike's Peak and you can also see the Garden of the Gods in the bottom right corner:


Some "scenery" is a little tacky:


We've had some visitors in our backyard:



I have already setup my sewing room and I honestly feel like I need to pinch myself because I can hardly believe it's real.  I should have taken a picture at my previous setup in Massachusetts but I was literally sewing in our kitchen and placing a small ironing board on top of the high chair tray.


My design wall is on the right side of the room:

Towards the front of the room is an ironing station and there is a roomy closet next to the sewing desk that I have filled with fabric.  Does all of my fabric fit in there?  I plead the fifth.

I have plans for decorating my sewing room, so you will hear more about this in the future.

In Billerica, I was literally within a .5 mile of a Joann's store.  Here in Colorado Springs, there is only one giant Joann's and I am a five minute drive from it. SCORE!



I have already attended a Front Range Modern Guild meeting.  I was surprised at myself for how nervous I felt attending but it wasn't so bad. I found the group to be very warm and welcoming.  Here is a picture of Stephanie R. showing a quilt she made, an original design.  She's from Lowell, MA :)


I was SO nervous about this cross-country move and really wondered if we were making the right decision.  The "problem" with my husband is that he's so dang happy wherever he is and with whatever he's doing that we've loved wherever we've been together and made the best of every situation- he's the poster child for the saying, "Bloom where you're planted."  So even though we had some struggles in Massachusetts, I was very happy there.  But through this whole process, I have drawn comfort by knowing that even though a lot of things would change with the move, a lot of things were going to stay the same.  My faith and family are constant.  I am so happy to share this adventure with these little buggers:



and this guy:

And I am happy that I can continue to pursue my passion for sewing.  I have been reading blogs now and then through all of this chaos and it literally has been a major stress-reliever and helped to remind me of what I love and will return to once things settle down.  Speaking of which, shortly, I will be working on a tutorial for my bow pillows and if anyone would like to be a pattern tester/reviewer for me, I would really appreciate it!  Just make a comment on this post.  (The tutorial will be a freebie on Ann Kelle's site soon!).


Thanks for reading this mostly non-sewing related post.  I will be back soon with two completed quilts to share.

7 comments:

Sarah Fredette said...

That's such a great sewing space!!! I'm glad you guys have settled in and you feel more at home there now. And two finished quilts?!?!? Really glad you didn't lose your fast sewing skills in the move - though I would have gladly "found" them for you. :D I know I volunteered in person, but in case you forgot, I'd love to tutorial test for one (or many) of those pillows. It'll be a great excuse to dig through fabric...or go fabric shopping, hmm....

Stephanie said...

I am in awe of the ginormous quilts you created up here in your smaller space so I can only imagine what you'll be creating in your new and improved space!! Glad to hear you all are settling in so well :)

Rachel Booth said...

Congrats on the move!! I know how stressful and crazy that can be!! I'd be happy to test for you! :)

Melissa said...

I, for one, am glad you came to the meeting. I know how it can be, showing up without knowing a soul, so I'm glad you braved it. :)
I look forward to getting to know you better! Glad you're here.

Jen said...

Glad to see that you're settling in. That looks like a great sewing space. I can only imagine how much more productive you're going to be with it.

QuarterMileQuilts said...

Wow, what a great sewing space! Looking forward to see what you're able to create and share with us!
I'd be happy to test a pattern if you need another person. Thanks!

Tina in Boston said...

Hi Laurie! Glad you made it! Colorado is beautiful. I hope you'll love it. Your sewing space is so great. I love the closet. I would be happy to test your pattern!