Friday, June 20, 2014

A Prize for a Friend

Recently, I participated in the 6 Sisters Weight Loss Challenge with a few friends and my husband.  Nick and I both lost 13 lbs each (!) and my friend Janelle won the challenge for getting the most points in the competition (for following "rules" such as avoiding sugary treats, exercise, eating 3 veggies a day, etc).  I liked this "program" a lot: it was realistic and about making a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix.  

Since Janelle won, I owed Janelle a gift and I decided to make her a pillow (I know, I know - another pillow- but I've already given her a homemade bag, a baby quilt, etc.).  

The pillow is composed of 2 mini charm packs of the RK collection, Modern Bliss.  I received a bunch of mini charm packs as gifts a while ago and I am always trying to find ways to use them.  They're so convenient and eliminate my least favorite aspect of sewing (cutting) but I do find those jagged edges to be annoying, don't you?


I quilted the patchwork with a yellow/orange variegated thread,  employing diagonal lines.


I did a zippered back closure in the back using this pretty, but hard to use, Peacock Lane print.


Janelle is one of the nicest persons I have ever known - she's a good friend in MA that I miss terribly.  Making this for her was easy and a joy.  Linking up to Finish it up Friday.

2 comments:

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Beautiful pillow!! And congrats on the lost pounds! Not easy to do this...bravo!

MalinisQuilts said...

That's great! Congratulations on the weight loss!

That is definitely a fun pillow!