Monday, April 13, 2015

Aragon Bag Finished

After writing this post about my productivity things really slowed down with my sewing.  My third trimester fatigue and complications (nothing serious) increased and my kids' ability to independently play without me decreased.  Then I made the mistake of verbally marveling that we've been so healthy this past winter, so of course, a few of us are now struggling with colds.  But it's just life and I am happy to share one of my most "urgent" must-do-before-baby projects is now completed!

Allow me to introduce the Aragon bag, a pattern by Sara Lawson at SewSweetness.  I think that this is the most challenging bag I have ever made, it's making me wonder if I can now handle the famous Weekender.....


Cutting out all of the pieces took me almost three evenings.  There are over 43 pieces to cut out, all mostly hand cut (a few could be rotary cut).  I dove into my stash choosing some bargain Echino I originally bought to make Charlotte a dress, some Lucky Penny fuscia Bike Path originally intended for quilt sashing, and a Summersault raindrop print.

This bag has nine pockets! Three of the pockets have zippers.


 Here's a picture of the lining.  Binding seams within the interior was a new technique and I have to say it was NOT easy or enjoyable.  Each side took me about two hours!  I hope not to revisit that finishing method again and will confess it is not neat looking at all.  But I am okay with it because it's all inside the bag anyway.


This is my project for this month's Le Challenge, the theme word is "tradition."  Making a new diaper bag for myself with each new baby has become a tradition for me.  It's a little treat to myself.

Here's the one I made in advance of Gregory's arrival (when my photography skills were sorely lacking, sorry!):


Here's the one I made for Charlotte's arrival:


Le Challenge

Also linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Total stash fabric used in this post: 2.5 yards
Total stash fabric used since 1/1/15: 31.5 yards
Total stash fabric used to date: 34 yards

11 comments:

Nilya said...

Lovely bags

Anonymous said...

HI, such neat projects ! Thanks for sharing!
msstitcher1214@gmail.com

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I love the Echino, it looks perfect for this bag! I really like the shape of that outside pocket and the inside looks pretty too. What a lovely tradition and wishing you a healthy and happy rest of pregnancy! Thanks for linking to le challenge :)

Lisa in Port Hope said...

That's a great tradition! Blessings for a boring time for the rest of your pregnancy.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

That's such a great tradition! The bag looks wonderful and congratulations!

Indigo Blue said...

Lovely bags and 9 pockets, wow!

Heidi said...

This is an awesome tradition! Your newest bag does look like a lot of work, but I love that the pattern offers neatly finished seams inside - very professional and gorgeous!

Indianna said...

Wow that looks a fabulous bag. Each one looks more complicated from the last and the fabric looks a perfect choice.

Nat at Made in Home said...

Such a great tradition! Thanks for sharing on le challenge!

SewPsyched! said...

your bags are Wonderful!! I think you ARE ready for the Weekender!!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Your bags looks great, what a good challenge that bag sounds like! All the best for the impending arrival, I hope all goes well! Take it easy in the meantime (if you can!)