Sunday, November 13, 2016

Scraptastic Link Up: Guild Scrap Pillow Swap

I am happy to be back to the blog today.  I finished my last craft fair yesterday and almost our whole household has been under the weather.  I am feeling pretty exhausted.  I plan to do several posts about my craft fairs, but since that's all I've eating, breathing, and sleeping, I wanted to take the opportunity to focus on something else for this post: the FRMQG scrap pillow swap I participated in, all in the midst of the craft fairs.  

Participants were asked to submit a small parcel of scraps and stash for another member to make them a pillow.  It was a "blind" swap where we didn't choose our partners.  In August, I won a prize in the Scraptastic Tuesday monthly linkup: a pack of Blueberry Park scraps from the designer, Karen Lewis.  I love this fabric line but haven't had the opportunity to purchase these fabrics.  One of my favorite friends from the guild received me as a partner and this is what she made me:


I love everything about it!  She did a great job.  You've got to take in the amazing quilting, it's a technique she's been practicing from the new book by Jacquie Gering Walk: Master Machine Quilting with Your Walking Foot.

From my partner, Melissa, I received a half yard of Kona white with a note basically asking that I "sew anything I want, just nothing Christmas themed."  That's very broad!  I definitely had a lot of freedom to do whatever I wanted.  I decided it would be fun to do some paper piecing; a time consuming/challenging technique that was quite the opposite to the mass-producing/easy sewing projects that consumed me for the craft fairs recently.

I already had a copy of the Forest Abstractions pattern by Violet Craft and decided to make a bunny:


Melissa loves everything "rainbow" and "color order" and I considered making a rainbow bunny, but I decided against that idea because I feared it might become too "Lisa Frank" and I didn't have a lot of confidence in my ability to place the fabrics in the right order.


Linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday!  I'll be back soon with all of my craft fair adventures.

3 comments:

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

I love the bunny pillow! I have purchased a couple of her patterns to make pillows for a guest bedroom. Any advice?

Deb Chimes said...

Such beautiful pillows - both of them!

Nicky said...

Wow ! So you got someone else to use your Blueberry Park scraps to make that gorgeous cushion or your friend used her own? Either way great swap!

Love the bunny you made! The power of scraps ! I just love them. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday and inspiring us to make cushions!