Friday, December 15, 2017

Tula Pink Butterfly Quilt Top Finished

Just before all my craft fair craziness started, I decided to participate in the Tula Pink Butterfly QAL, hosted by GnomeAngel.  I got a late start because I wasn't sure what color scheme to use, but finally decided on a stash pile of warm colors: pink, orange, and yellow.  I soon got derailed on the timing of the QAL because my sewing machine ended up in the shop for 3 weeks (turned out nothing was even wrong with it!).... but I eventually caught up.  

Just before the QAL ended, I was able to finish the quilt top.  I can easily say that this was the most challenging quilt I've ever pieced.  Here's why:

  • The curved blocks!  I've heard from other people that they are the. worst.  I really struggled with the smallest ones- the larger the curve, the easier it was to construct.  
  • Those curved blocks?  Make sure you make them mirror image.  I didn't.  I had to remake some of the hardest ones!
  • Fabric selection: Doing a color gradation approach was no picnic.  It definitely doesn't come natural to me, I really like high contrast in my piecing and doing that within the same color is not easy.
  • Piecing all the pieces together was not easy either.  Many readers may recall that I love my Triangulations "software" that helped me complete the 154 HST's in an afternoon.... but I found that they were a bit on the small side when I had to piece them with my other blocks.  My best guess for why this happened?  Maybe the way I cut and measure is a tad bigger than Triangulations standards.  
  • Making everything twice got old for me.  Especially if it was something challenging to piece- you "get through it," and then you have to do it again.



I really did have fun choosing fun fabrics to include in the quilt top, lots of little creature motifs and I love the use of the Brambleberry Ridge bird background fabric. 


I was one of the three winners of the QAL, so that was exciting. 

I have to admit that I am a quite scared to put this on my longarm and finish her up....  it's very intimidating to try to think of how I could custom quilt this with my limited free motion quilting skills.  It will be a while before I have the courage to put this on my machine.

Linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

5 comments:

Havplenty said...

Good, you persevered through all of the challenges and now you have a beautiful quilt. And along the way you learned some new skills. Perhaps taking a small break to give yourself time to think about your quilt design may help. You will certainly push through this challenge as well.

Kay said...

Absolutely stunning, this is a work of art. x

Peggyinno said...

You did a GREAT job on this! Absolutely love your colors. You should be very proud! I have this pattern and have been putting it off for so long because I can’t decide on a color scheme!! Maybe 2018 will be the year I make my decision!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Pretty!!!

karenbbsnow said...

Beautiful job. I totally understand the fear of beginning to quilt a top that turned out great and took a lot of effort. Take your time, it will come to you eventually.