Friday, March 09, 2018

Finish it Friday: Big Sky Quilt

I have another finish to share!  This quilt came together fast thanks to its small-ish size, using charm packs, and having a deadline.  I made this quilt for one of my favorite friends here in Colorado, Julie.  I met her soon after I had moved from Massachusetts to Colorado and she's been such a blessing in my life.  We met in MOPS (a mom's group) and I have faithfully attended her book group she soon formed after I met her.  For a variety of reasons, I never expected that she would move from Colorado but her husband recently took an opportunity to work in Guam, a place they had lived before.  My friendship with Julie has felt like one of the most genuine friendships I've had while living here and it's pretty sad to have her move so far away.  I knew I wanted to make something special for her before she moved away, so I decided I would make her a quilt.  

I had my eye on the Moda collection, Big Sky for a while.  It has adorable motifs of bears and other forest animals, birch trees, and flora and fauna.  I knew it would be the perfect fabrics to help remind her of home.  I bought two charm packs and added prints from my stash.  I used a pattern in the book Charm School to create this throw size quilt: 


I did a boxy meander all over the quilt, a motif I have been wanting to do on the longarm for quite a while. 


I bound it using the "Suzy's Magic Binding" technique.


In an effort to save money and use the stash (but I have to admit I was sorely tempted to splurge on this Big Sky print for the backing), I created a scrappy backing with fabrics that matched the colors of the front. 


Sadly, with Julie moving, our book club is also dissolving.  I'll admit that I am glad to get back to reading whatever I want, whenever I want- but this group has been a real life line during some pretty lonely years here.  But I am happy to report that emotionally, I am doing better lately with the social dynamics I have encountered here.  More on that soon!

Linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

4 comments:

Kat said...

I'm sorry to hear your friend is moving :( You made her a lovely quilt!

Havplenty said...

A nice quilt for your friend. Hopefully you will be able to create a deeper connection with another where you are.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wonderful goodbye gift!!

grammajudyb said...

It's a lovely quilt and a wonderful gift. Thanks for the link to the flange binding!