Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Berry Season Gift Quilt

Mashe Modern Fabrics had a crazy good sale on charm packs in November and I snatched up four from the Robert Kaufman collection Berry Season.  I bought both prints and solids.  I have to admit I don't really love precuts because I don't really like to make a quilt out of one collection.  But the price at about $7 a piece was worth it and I ended up using them for this quilt that was a fun and easy sew that was fun because I hardly had to cut anything before I could get sewing at the machine.  

I used a Moda Bake Shop pattern called Meet Cute by Preeti Harris of Sew Preeti Quilts.   I had the perfect fabrics in my stash to make this, including a self-made jelly roll of Kona Bone that I had abandoned maybe 10 years ago when I thought I might want to make a checkerboard quilt.  I decided to make four extra blocks than the pattern calls for, making a square (instead of a rectangle) quilt that measures about 70" square.  

Here's the result:


As I was sewing the columns of rectangles together, I endeavored to have a rainbow/spectrum type of feel.  When I got to the very end of my fabric pieces, I just put together whatever I could (hence the slightly less pretty block you can mostly see on the top right of the above picture.  

I quilted this quilt on my longarm with a free motion floral design.  I was pretty pleased with how it came out:



I backed the quilt in a $1 a yard Marden's find (an oldie from Erin McMorris) and bound the quilt in an Art Gallery dot. 


All of these pictures were taken in haste as the sun was setting.  I knew I wanted to pack it all up to ship to my husband's grandmother the next day.  It arrived in Utah barely in time for Christmas and Grandma Matthews was happy to receive the quilt.  She's is a sweetheart and I thought it would be nice to gift her with her own quilt to enjoy- she sews a lot for other people.  We've been blessed by some very nice Christmas stockings she's made.  This was one of the very few handmade Christmas items I gifted in 2019.



There are still a few more quilt finishes to document for 2019- I'm getting there!

1 comment:

Paul M. Edwards said...

Wonderful information you have to be shared. Thanku so much. Minecraft Sponge