Thursday, March 11, 2010

Boy Fabrics

Boy fabrics. It's my new passion. I love to find great/unique boy fabrics now that I am a mother of a little man. It's really difficult, believe it or not, to find boy fabrics that I like. All too often, what is available are obnoxious prints that scream ROBOTS, TRUCKS, TOOLS, 1980's NURSERY, and the worst: WOODLAND CREATURES.... I mean, come one- Raccoons? Squirrels? Do we really need to try and make forest vermin look cute? Now, as Gregory gets older, and he decides he likes any of the above, I will indulge him - because of course it is important that he likes what I make for him. But until he can express a firm opinion, so far he has blankets with sock monkeys, Muppets, and apples.... kind of a crazy combination I guess. Anyway, here are some of the most interesting boy prints I have found lately:
When I first saw the sneaker print, I was like, "Who would buy that!?" Then I looked closer and thought about it and I answered my own question, "Me!" I know it's really bold and crazy, but I look forward to the challenge of toning it down and incooperating it into something fun.

Now, the print on the right- I can't even handle the fun of the cowboys. I never would have guessed that I would've gone for anything Western... but the thing that gets me is the names written under their faces, "Slim," "Hap," and "El Rey." But the best part is, there is a name there that I am planning on naming my next boy. It is not in the picture, so you will have to be in suspense. But trust me, it is a normal name that does not scream "cowboy." So poor Greggers won't be getting this fabric.....

I went to the first meeting of the New England Modern Quilt Guild last Friday and I had a lot of fun. I met lots of nice people and I am really excited to get to know everyone better soon. I also have started a community education photography class and I am really excited to learn how to take better pictures - hopefully you will notice a difference in the next couple of months.

1 comment:

Bessiemae said...

Hi Laurie!

I absolutely love the shoes fabric. I've got two boys, so I'm always on the lookout for cute boy fabrics too.

Jennifer