Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What Do You Do Wtih All of Those Quilts?

I often get asked, "What do you with all of your quilts?"  Admittedly, having 34+ quilts to show at last night's guild meeting did make me feel a bit ridiculous.  And in my defense, I have postponed sending some as gifts to specific people because I wanted to use them for that meeting.  
 
Sometimes when people ask me why I make so many quilts (and what do I do with them?) - I feel a little defensive.  I think they might wondering, "How does she have the space/time/energy?" and I feel that there is an implied judgment, "She has nothing better to do."  "She must be neglecting other things."  (Well yes, the housework often gets pushed to the side, I must admit).  Of course - 99% of people don't have unkind motives when they ask that question - most of them are probably just curious. 
 
I must say that we do use my quilts a lot.  I like rotating them and having something different to sleep under frequently.  Having more than one quilt for each child comes in handy too.  So my usual reply to the title question is, "We use them."
 
But now- I am starting to ask myself that question - "What am I going to do with all of those quilts?"  This issue is especially pertinent lately because our family has been anticipating/working for an across-the-country move (Colorado Springs if you're wondering - and if you're from that area - please comment and tell me about the modern quilting scene out there!).  I am going to give some away and may even put a few on etsy.com.  We'll see how it goes.  But in the meantime - there is always some great fabric around to create more:
 

This is the AWESOME haul I came home with at the little guild sale from last night.  Fat quarters were .50 cents and yardage was $2 a yard.  I came home with 5 yards of black Kona, lots of little solids bundles, some AH pumpkin fabric my kids already love, and lots of great black and whites- I have my sights on making something like this soon.  I have never been to a "yard sale" type setting that sold fabric I actually really liked - so this was a total score.  I also came home with loads of free cross-stitch fabric I plan to mostly pass on to my sister who has become addicted to the hobby. 

3 comments:

alidiza said...

I really do think most people ask this question out of curiosity and don't mean it to be judgmental. Enjoy the process, you can never have too many shoes or quilts;-)

natski said...

I love that bijoux quilt it's gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

MalinisQuilts said...

I agree with Alice. you can't never have enough quilts or shoes ;).

That must be a big move.