Wednesday, January 15, 2014

WIP Wednesday: New Wave Quilt Top

I am back from Colorado after an exhausting but successful house hunting trip.  We found a home and the most exciting news in relation to sewing is that I will have my own sewing room!  Right now, I have a little desk adjacent to the kitchen and there is fabric throughout the apartment so I am pretty psyched to keep everything in one place.  We have about 3 weeks to get out there, so the next month or so is going to be kind of crazy.  Sewing and blogging will definitely be a bit sporadic.

I have four free hours of longarm rental time at Laurena's- and there is no way I am moving without using it! That is why I decided to churn out this New Wave quilt top right now.  It is made out of stash fabrics - primarily the Amy Butler collection Lark.  Once everything was cut and a layout was decided upon, this took me five days to sew together - three of which were when my husband was home.  I was surprised, but I really think this is actually a quick quilt pattern.



I thought by using non-Lark/AB fabrics for the sashing strips, the quilt would have a mixed collection feel but I really think it's biggest weakness is that its look is too uniform- i.e. the fabrics I chose match too well.  But I am hoping that I will like it better once I quilt it this Friday.


And just for fun, here's a picture of the other New Wave quilt I made almost 3 years ago as a present for a guild member:



10 comments:

Sarah Fredette said...

It doesn't look to matchy to me. I'm sorry you'll be leaving so soon - but happy for you that it finally came together!

ScissorsandThread said...

I don't think it looks too match at all - the sashing strips give it a nice contrast.

Lucy said...

I don't think your top is too uniform at all - I like the contrasting prints and bright colors!

Wonky Patchwork said...

I agree with the other comments, fabric choices look great to me. And good luck with the move, as someone who sews on the kitchen table, I reckon however much hassle and pain it is for the next few weeks will be totally worth it just to have your own sewing room!

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

I think your quilt top is great...the richness of the colors contrasting with the bands really works! Congratulations on the house and YOUR sewing room! YEAH!!!

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

It's funny how everyone has a different color perspective - this is nowhere near matchy-matchy/uniform, but that's just my two cents :) I think it's a really interesting combo!

Jen said...

I agree with everyone else, I don't think it looks too matchy. Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

alidiza said...

It's beautiful!!! I love this pattern... it does go together quickly and it's a great way to highlight prints. Can't wait to see it quilted:-)

Annee said...

Love it Laurie! And I loved getting the sneak peak of the finished quilt! It's so great. What a fun on to go "out" on. I can't wait to come visit you in The Springs!

Unknown said...

I love the scrappy look of this quilt. A very different look from other New Wave quilts I have seen.