Monday, July 21, 2014

Sewvivor - Dresden Lane

I've decided to throw my hat in the ring for the current round of "Sew-Vivor."  The quilted item that I feel best represents my talents is the "Birth Announcement" mini quilt I made in honor of my son.  (I apologize to long-time readers who may be sick of seeing this little quilt!)  He was born in a New England fall when all of the leaves were gorgeous colors.


I created a fiery cluster of tiny English paper pieced leaves for a tree on top of a hexagon background.  The background of hexagons consists of several favorite fabrics as well as pieces of one my favorite baby shirts he wore.


The tree and carriage were completed with needle-turn applique and elements of hand and machine embroidery were also used.  There is very minimal quilting- I simply stitched around the edges of the outer "slab" of hexagons.


The quilt measures 18 x 21 and even though it's the size of a fat quarter, it was more time intensive than a lot of the queen-sized quilts I've made.  This is my original design.  Good luck to all of the entrants!

 photo Sew-vivor3COMPETITION_zps08fe5a4f.jpg

3 comments:

DaisyLiz said...

I love your use of hexies! I'm a new reader, and I'm super impressed with your creativity assembling a whole scene out of hexies. I know it's something your child will cherish. It's beautiful!

QuarterMileQuilts said...

Love this! I really love that you were able to incorporate a portion of one of his shirts into this piece. Good luck! Best, Kate

Melissa said...

Oh! Good luck! It's an adorable mini, and a great idea! :)