Friday, July 10, 2015

Finish it Friday: Three Finishes!

Hello friends!  I hope you are having a good summer so far.  Today marks three weeks of my caring for these three on my own since my husband went back to work.  Some days are really long and tedious, but the hard days are interspersed with easier ones.  It feels like my older kids are demanding a lot more from me.  Sneaking in sewing time comes in small chunks, here and there.


I made myself another pair of pajama pants with some clearance DS Joann's fabric:


I finished up this mini, a decoration destined for my sewing room:


Mini quilts are a great project to use practicing different free motion quilting techniques.  In the picture above, you can see I did some free motion cat heads.  What a funny term!


I love the look of using thread that is tone on tone:


The highest project on my priority list has been finishing up this baby quilt.  The baby shower (that I am hosting!) is being held tomorrow afternoon.  Somehow, I made the top and quilted it in a matter of a few days.  But it was hand sewing the binding down that took ages.  In the past, this step has usually been accomplished in the evenings after children's bedtime but now that I have an infant, all time and energy is focused on him.  I finally completed the last edge last night.  Phew!


I backed the quilt in a large piece of pink Erin McMorris flannel, with a small strip of the yellow colorway on one side.  I chose this fabric from my stash in the interest of putting it to good use as well as it was one of my few options that matched the colors of the quilt.  Quilting on flannel wasn't too bad, but definitely not as easy as quilting cotton.  There's a lot more "drag" with flannel.


As I have worked on this quilt, I have wondered if I chose the right amount of dark and light fabrics. Did I really master "value" with this quilt?  It's helped me realize that my stash could use more dark fabrics, like that lovely Amy Butler wallflower print and the pink Washi geometric.  I am really pleased with the Kona Ash as sashing; it helps the light and dark fabrics pop and will hopefully be more forgiving than white when it comes to stains and wear and tear.


This quilt measures 49" square and it is bound in a Patty Young Lush fabric.

Linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Total stash fabric used in this post: 9.25 yards
Total stash fabric used since 1/1/15: 65.25 yards
Total stash fabric used to date: 74.5  yards

6 comments:

Margaret said...

I love the little mini quilt and the colours in the baby quilt are very pretty. I always think that making baby quilts are the best kind of quilting there is.

Roben said...

You've gotten quite a bit done! I especially love the baby quilt, for some reason I look at it and think watermelon and I love that.

Marla aka YaYa said...

With a new baby and two more, "The days are long and the years are short."
Congratulations on finishing ANYTHING!

Carie said...

I'm wildly impressed that you're finishing anything too - my three are 4,2 and 10 months and my finishes are few and far between! And all three are lovely - especially that fussy cut cat in the centre of your mini quilt!

Colleen said...

I think your baby quilt has good balance and value - good job getting it done in time ! For some inexplicable reason I am o.k. with machine binding a baby quilt but I always hand stitch the binding on bigger quilts.
Colleen @ piecemakerquilts.wordpress.com

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

You have used 65 yards of fabric since the first of the year?! You are my hero! Congrats on all your finishes : )