Friday, April 15, 2016

Bubbles, Ice Cream, and Playtime

 I love Oliver and S patterns, I am sure that's obvious by now.  Within the past week I made clothing items from three of their patterns.

Here's the bubble dress in size 5T:


I used some pretty Joel Dewberry Atrium fabrics.  This was a very fun sew.  I do enjoy dress patterns with sleeves that aren't the traditional "set in sleeves" that sometimes are tedious to assemble.



Next up is the ice cream dress.  I've made this dress before but my daughter has since grown out of the ones I had made.


 Isn't this bear/forest print adorable!?  I would've preferred to pair it with a pink solid but I have so much Kona "Rich Red" in my stash for some reason, so I opted for using what I have.

I ommitted the front pockets that are supposed to go on the front of the dress, the print is just too busy and I didn't want to break it up.



I finally mustered up the courage to try sewing with knit and made Charlotte some Playtime leggings.  It was a fun experience and they came out really nice.  Charlotte said she wanted to "wear these pants everyday"- which is a great compliment from a four year-old.



The 5T sizing is a little big on her, I am considering investing in the smaller size range of the pattern.

Having a daughter to sew for is such a joy!  I am really enjoying it.  I have to admit that I feel a little guilty about making her so many clothes.  I think it's because making a quilt feels like I am making an heirloom that can be enjoyed for many years to come, by many people.  I am not sure what will become of these clothes that she will (all too fast) grow out of.  But I do get such a kick out of her excited reactions to the items I make her and I think it's fun to watch a favorite fabric print "walk around."  I also have to say that a lot of the clothes available in stores are not as cute and child-like as the ones I can make her.  Sewing for her is easy, compared to sewing for myself, because I don't have to worry about things like a bust adjustment and the patterns I like aren't super fitted, requiring scary things like invisible zippers.

I do think Gregory gets a little jealous that I make his sister so many things but I honestly have no interest in sewing clothes for him.  He's very picky about what he wears and is perfectly content with wearing super hero t-shirts and basketball shorts.  I try to give him attention and care in other ways.  I'll admit that when I had Owen almost a year ago, I wanted to have a girl simply because I love sewing for Charlotte so much.  It's all good though!  I love my family and this hobby of mine that is very versatile and rewarding.

5 comments:

Customieze said...

the clothes are adorable!

Sheri said...

Really really cute clothes on cute little girl!!

Mary Marcotte said...

She's an adorable model. I had all boys but made them clothes anyway and loved it. Mostly I made "play" shorts and pj's which were basically elastic-waist pull ups. I made them in solids so they could coordinate with tees very easily. When they became teens, I must have made a thousand boxers and continued making those till they got married.
Your daughter is one lucky little girl to have such a talented mom who is willing to sew for her! Those little outfits are beautiful!

Jenny said...

Such pretty little dresses, especially love the first dress. It's so nice to have a little girl to sew for, isn't it!

I had both a boy and girl, and used to make pyjamas for them both, shirts and shorts when Michael was little, and dresses for Nicola. But of course, once boys get a little older, they want tee shirts like your son wears.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

She is just getting cuter and cuter! As a mom of three boys I just love, love to see this type of sewing! I keep hoping for grand daughters some day! Thanks of the inspiration!!