Thursday, August 11, 2016

A New Goal: Transforming Trash into Treasure

The focus of today's post is to document my most recent project that I couldn't wait to share:

I made it to a few yard sales over the weekend and picked up these handmade arm chair cozies (is that what they are?) for a whopping fifty cents:


I transformed the rose embroidery pieces into this 18" pillow:


All of the fabrics came from my scrap bin and I sewed some thrifted tiny ric rac to several seams after the patchwork was basted, to quilt the top together.  (That ric rac was HORRIBLE to work with bytheway!)


Here's a picture of the back, a zippered enclosure as always:


I really like how this pillow came out!  It feels very gratifying to take something that was unwanted and nearly discarded and giving it new life.

I have quite a bit of thrifted pieces of embroidery, vintage fabrics and trims, second hand clothing that calls for repurposing, etc. and it's not doing me any good in a closet!  I have a new goal to incorporate this "stuff" into useful, fun items at least twice a month. I hope you'll enjoy this new idea venture with me.  And since I used all red, orange, and yellow scraps to complete this project (also very gratifying and along the same lines as using up something previously tucked away), I am linking up with the lovely ladies at Scraptastic Tuesday.  Thanks so much for reading.

2 comments:

Nicky said...

I'm so glad you re-purposed those embroideries into a cushion! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I have a collection of embroidered hankies I've been wondering what to do with and this is fantastic!