Friday, July 16, 2010

Doll Quilt Swap - Revealed

So I already showed you part of the back, but here it is in full: This is a close-up of the African wax print fabric I used, a design that I composed the whole quilt around.
I learned how to do English paper piecing with hexagons - totally addictive!




I have been working on this doll quilt for about 2 months, for the NEMQG doll quilt swap. I had the privilege of assigning partners - thus I got to choose who I would make my quilt for. I decided to choose Kelley. In scanning her blog, I learned that she is in the process of adopting a child from Ethiopia. Having lived in Africa twice, I have quite a bit of African fabric. I thought that the heart print was a very sweet and appropriate choice for this quilt. The colors are bright and kind of crazy - but no color pallette in Africa is very subdued, especially when it comes to fabric for garments.
The heart print is made in Nigeria. The green and black print is also from Africa. The colors are so dense in these fabrics, it is difficult to tell the front of the fabric from the back. I chose the dominants colors within the design to compose the rest of the quilt. It is purposely wonky. I think one of my favorite parts was making the hexagons. I really hope Kelley likes this!

1 comment:

zoesimm said...

I LOVE IT!!!! The fabrics, the design, the specail care you took.....and especially the fact that you took the time to read on my blog about our adoption from Ethiopia....I can't thank you enough for such a fabulous gift!!!!
Kelley