Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Block Party Part II

So I decided to enter two more blocks into the Quilt Story Block Party contest - the first in the "creative category" and the second in "traditional."

Last night I made this block for the Hip 2 Bee Square bee. Kerry, aka "the seamripper," asked for her seven year old daughter's input regarding the block we should make. She asked us to make a "house" block or something similar based on a favorite childhood place and simply asked us to be creative. Kerry sent lots of cute fabrics, but I couldn't resist using some of my own (the book print, Modern Meadow, and the woodgrain). I decided to make a library block:



I am pretty happy with how it came out. I was pretty initimidated by this task but soon found that I preferred it to the nit-picky piecing of the next two blocks:


For the NEMQG bee, Aimee asked for butterfly blocks. I adored the fabrics she sent and only ended up adding the KJR posie as a border from my stash. I may make another block for her if I can stretch the muslin she included. I used a tutorial found here, from the Four Wise Monkeys blog.


Finally, here is the fifth block for the Blogger's Palooza. The 24 flying geese units about drove me up the wall. This whole quilt along is based on various person's use of flying geese and nine-patch blocks - so I am really hoping that some of the blocks focus on the nine-patch a little more!

7 comments:

Monet said...

Your tree and library block looks FANTASTIC, Laurie! I absolutely love it.

melisgm said...

OK. That library block is AWESOME! I love it!!!

KerryQ said...

Laurie, the library block is so fabulous! Thank you so much! I swear Maeve eats books for lunch! She'll love it!

Micmacker said...

The library block is gor-JUSS!!

Aimee said...

Great blocks, Laurie! Love the butterfly!!!

Quiltstory said...

Love the tree one, and the one with all the flying geese. Thanks for linking to our block party

sariah said...

That tree is wonderful! Perfect fabric choices!