Monday, March 28, 2011

Just Wing It!

After all the illness that hit our family, it was hard to get back into the "groove" of quilting and sewing again. I just didn't feel like returning to my old projects, had enjoyed all of my leisure reading time, and I didn't even know where to start. I am 7 blocks behind on my Blogger's Palooza quilt-along and I have three packets of fabric waiting for me to do bee blocks. So in order to kick my butt in gear, I went ahead and started a new project for a friend who's having a baby girl in May (nevermind that I still have two homeless baby girl quilts sitting in a pile on my dresser). I recently won two "Just Wing It" charm packs at a recent NEMQG meeting from SewFreshFabrics and I decided to put them to work to do a quilt I had recently seen on Cluck Cluck Sew. Here is the result: I did try to put an appliqued flower on it like the tutorial suggests, but mine looked so horrible that I ended up ripping it out.
I bound it with a Riley Blake dot from my stash and backed it with a FMF copy-cat fabric also from my stash.
This quilt was a cinch to make and seems a little more interesting than just sewing the squares together. Cutting fabrics is my least favorite part of quilting and nearly eliminating that step was awesome.


I have to say that I really like the fabrics designed by Momo (Wonderland and It's a Hoot are GREAT!) but I think it's time to move on from all of the birds and butterflies. Who is Momo anyway?

I actually finished four (!) quilts this past week but I am going to stagger my postings so that you might actually hear from me more than twice a month.


Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

Jen said...

It looks great. I love it. I have an obsession with FMF, so I love the back. I also hear you about Momo. I actually feel that way about a lot of the Moda designers lately. Can they do something different besides just changing the colors up a bit?

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful. Glad to see those charms all sewn up!