Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Urban Clutch

I was inspired by this month's "Craft Book Month" theme over at Crafts Buds to make something from a book I received for my birthday a few months ago.  I love this book: Bags: The Modern Classics by Sue Kim.  It has so many simple patterns for nice bags, wristlets, totes, etc.  A lot of the shapes inside are quite simple; it might be easy enough for a seasoned bag maker to figure them out on one's own - but for me, if there's a pattern available, I would much rather take advantage of someone else's hard work.

I chose to make the clutch on the cover.  I would die for a half yard of that Echino leopard spot (!) - it's a gorgeous clutch, but since I don't have that print, I went ahead and used some of my Lark stash.  I love the ikat print - I thought I would hate it when I saw it online, but it's actually my favorite print from that collection. 
 ANYWAY- this project could easily be done in an evening if you had no interruptions - it's a very simple bag.  I enjoyed making it and I am pleased with the results!
I love craft books - the inspiration and eye candy is so fun to browse.  I usually check out craft books from the library before I even consider purchasing them.  I am very picky about what craft books I actually own because I want to actually use them and not just clutter a bookshelf.  In fact, I have done a project out of almost all of the crafty books I own.  I love a lot of the newer quilt books that have been coming out lately - but I prefer the ones that just have patterns for actual quilts.  I think it's kind of an annoying trend that quilt books often have odd projects - like a quilted cuckoo clock and how many quilted laptop/e-reader patterns does the world need?!  There, that's my rant for today.

8 comments:

parsley said...

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! that ikat fabric looks so beautiful with the red. And you know I have a difficult relationship with red. ;)

Alexis Deise said...

Ohhhhhhh, this is stunning. I love the ikat and the red together. I am SO tempted to troll etsy for some of that leopard print echino..... :)

MalinisQuilts said...

That's a cute clutch.
Love it!

I know what you mean by owning a book. I'm cautious to when I buy my quilt books.

Aimee said...

I love it! Great color/fabric choices. I hear you on the books - I have so many I don't use. Maybe we should do a guild swap?? : )

alidiza said...

LOVE this bag!!! The perfect accessory for fall:-)

CapitolaQuilter said...

Love your clutch - I made mine out of the same book

Lindsay Conner said...

This is adorable! I love your fabric choices! Thanks for linking up to Craft Book Month!

Sandra :) said...

Gorgeous clutch - I love your fabrics!