Friday, March 06, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird: Book Club Door Prizes

It's my turn to host book club again.  Our small group picked the classic, "To Kill a Mockingbird."  I will admit that I was less than thrilled with the choice because I have read it numerous times.  If you grow up in New England, you will read "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," and Mockingbird ad nauseum.  At least that was my experience.  But despite my trepidation, reading it again was nice and I really enjoyed it.  It's a classic I can actually understand.  This mommy brain can't handle Chaucer and Dante right now.

Anyway, I went a little overboard with the door prizes, I am hosting our group tonight.  You see, I have a lot of bird fabrics and pulling from my stash was easy.  I am also trying to be more generous and share what I make.  I tried to do simple projects besides zip pouches and I enjoyed the diversity of making so many different items.

I started with a library tote:

 (1 yd)

Then I made a hoop organizer (you hang this on the wall and it can be a pretty way to store sewing supplies, writing utensils, etc.)  I had never made one before but it was quick and easy, it only took me an hour.


I returned to the Divided Basket tutorial and skipped the divider to save time:

(1 yd)

Here's my son modeling the apron I made, isn't he so cute?  What a good sport.  Something tells me he won't be so willing to do this for too much longer.

(1.25 yd)

Finally, a pillowcase out of some fabric I've had for ages.

(1 yd)

Several weeks ago, at an FRQG meeting, I made a resolution to use up 50 yards of stash fabric by the year's end.  I haven't done a good job of keeping track of this, but I am going to start documenting this on my blog now.  I will end each post that documents finished projects from stash fabrics with a total.  Within the next week, I will go through my most recent finishes blog posts to update what I've accomplished since that meeting, which will also allow me to keep a running tally.  Wish me luck!

Thanks for reading.

Amount of stash used in this post: 4.25 yds

1 comment:

Caitlin and Jared said...

You are amazing and Gregory is getting so big! : ) Miss you guys!