Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Autumn Celebration Mini Quilt

Even though this quilt only measures 18" x 27" - it was many months in the making. I am teaching English paper pieced hexagons this Saturday for the BMQG, which has been good motivation for me to finish it up. I started making hexagons last summer and have about 27 hexagonal flowers that I haven't touched since (I plan to get back to them now, I promise!). I think it is good to show examples of how one can use hand-pieced hexagons without committing to a HUGE bed-sized quilt.

Anyway, I got the idea for this quilt last summer and was happy to finally make it happen. Are you familiar with those cross-stitch birth announcements? Example shown here. I wanted to make something with that concept for my son that incorporated quilting and was modern: Most of this quilt is hand-done- there are hand-pieced hexagons but also some needle turn applique for the tree and baby carriage, and some hand embroidery on the stroller. A kind friend with an emroidery machine did my baby's name and birthdate on some white Kona for me.




I was able to applique the hexagons with the help of spray starch, a seam ripper, pins, and my sewing machine; I blogged about this technique on this post. I had the perfect Nicey Jane binding scrap that bound the whole quilt.


I am very happy with how the quilt turned out - it came out differently than I had been planning - but I think I made it better than my original ideas. I think one of the best aspects of the project is that there are pieces of one my baby's shirts (the white with little tricycle on it). The quilt is hanging in our living room - after all that work - there is no way that I am just going to stick it in my son's room - where we only go for diaper changes and bedtime. :)

8 comments:

mee said...

It turned out great Laurie!!!!

Jen said...

I love it. How small are those hexagon's in the tree? They look tiny.

MadeByMeaghan said...

Maybe I'll have you make me one when I have a baby too - it's so cute! :) Great job. All that attention to detail and little accents make it extra special!

Rachel said...

those tiny hexagons are amazing! it looks so cute.

Kirsten said...

This is a really beautiful piece of work!

Harriet Toothfighter said...

Oh, Laurie! That's wonderful! I'm still working on a cross-stitch birth announcement for Alice and she's almost four. I'm so inspired by you getting such an amazing thing finished! I love the hexagons. And the tree.

Micmacker said...

I think this is just a beautiful piece of work. Highly skilled creativity!

alidiza said...

This is absolutely gorgous!!! What a fantastic idea for a keepsake birth announcement and I love the NJ binding!