Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sewing Kit

I am not really sure what to call this thing I just made but I think that "Sewing Kit" will suffice. I wanted to make something that could carry sewing tools, notions, and hold a current project. I had admired a friend's at some BMQG events and knew that I could improvise my own pattern that would work for my needs. For the outside I used some fabrics I had received in swaps. The purple fabric is a 2009 Echino Peacock print, there is some Amy Butler Wallflower mustard (wish I had more than a FQ of this!), and I bound it with some AMH Garden Party fabric.

I quilted the outside and lining with straight line quilting (time consuming, but worth it!). I used a large piece of white wool felt to store pins, needles, and safety pins. The blue polka dot on the right is a large zipper pouch for whatever else I want to have with me - I will most likely put whatever hand-sewing project I may be working on in there. This is the first time I have installed a zipper and let's just say that the design of this sewing kit lends itself to hiding the serious errors I made (namely not lining up the top and bottom pieces evenly).

I am really enjoying doing all of these "smaller projects" after doing several large quilts that require months of attention. I may force myself to complete all of my UFO's (there are 4) before I allow myself to start a whole new project - but I am really getting anxious to get going on some newer things..... I have pretty stacks of fabrics set aside and can't wait to get started!

1 comment:

Micmacker said...

Perfect use of your precious Wallflower fabric! I need to make something like this for myself for little things I work on in the car (while in the passenger seat, NOT driving!).