Monday, June 13, 2011

Cosmo Bag

Completing this bag feels like a serious accomplishment. There were at least 26 different pieces of fabric - 24 of which had to be lined with interfacing. Cutting out all of the pieces took the same amount of time as it did to sew it all together. The pattern comes from Amy Butler's newest book: Style Stitches. For the outside of the bag, I used some Echino fabric I had received for Christmas (I had planned to use the fabric for pillows but changed my mind), Heather Bailey's Pop Garden Peonies in Pink for the lining, and Amy Butler Green Dot from the Love collection for the handles.

I took a lot of advice from this post when I made the bag. I ended up using lots of fusible fleece instead of the woven interfacing - I am still shocked that the bag is still so floppy with all of that reinforcement. But it's still got decent structure and was worth it to deal with all of those layers.

The funny thing about owning a bag this so big is that I often only carry my wallet, cell phone, and keys with me.... I am kind of a minimalist when it comes to what I am willing to carry around with me all day. But I still love it and I am looking forward to using it soon.

3 comments:

Micmacker said...

Great fabric choices, but not sure how big the bag is...hard to tell from these pictures. I keep hearing how difficult Amy Butler bag patterns are...

Splendorfalls said...

I just love your fabric choices! I'm like you and don't carry much around; I ended up giving mine to my sister! =)

Kimberly said...

Loving your fabric choices. I am contemplating making this bag also. When you mention taking hints from the blog post, did you mean to link back to Amazon? I am looking for any helpful hints I can get on this bag. Thanks!