Thursday, November 29, 2012

Nesting Doll Mini Quilt

After I conquered a relatively easy paper pieced block, I decided to jump right in and try something more challenging.  Like a lot of modern quilters, I love the matryoskhka or nesting doll motif that is becoming more and more popular in sewing and fabric.  I found this pattern from Bubble Stitches here.  It took me several hours over a weekend night to make an 8" block.  I was so happy with how it came out.
 I was going to make it into a pillow but decided that I couldn't live with the asymmetry of having only one decorative couch pillow (when I have a long list of Christmas gifts that I really need to get to!) and I didn't want dirty fingers all over her - so I made her into a wall hanging. 
It was hard to decide how to embroider her face - I knew if it looked horrible, I would end up hating the whole thing.  Closed eyes are easier to realistically create - so that's what I went with. 

I really love that Sherbet Pips random square background fabric - it's perfect for paper piecing because it doesn't look all weird when it's cut up a lot.  I wish I had stocked up on more of that in all the different colorways.  I also really love that Patty Young Mezzanine print that I used for the dress and outer quilt border - it's striking and pretty.

1 comment:

alidiza said...

This is so cute!!! Your quilting is amazing, I love all the different motifs in each border and the binding is TDF:-)