Saturday, November 17, 2012

Small projects

After finishing a large quilt, it's been fun to focus on sewing some little items.  I had a nice response to my ornament swap idea and I have finally gotten around to sewing some of them.  This little house pattern was the cover project for the new magazine, "Make it Yourself" 2012 issue.  They are so fun to make!
 I also decided to try my hand at paper piecing, I adapted this tutorial for Christmas tree coasters to make more ornaments.  It's really a fun way to use scraps and both projects have put my vintage ric-rac collection to good use.
 I also made a pincushion for the swap hosted by the Kansas City Modern Guild.  It has lots of curved piecing - so it's less than perfect but it's still cute I think.
I finished the center-piece embroidery for a Christmas gift for my 3 year old son.  He's obsessed with Buzz Lightyear and I thought it would be cute to make him a rocket/space/planet themed pillow.  I finally cut into some of my "handwriting" striped fabric for the project - I hoard that stuff because I have these visions of making all sorts of things with clever sayings on them.  It's definitely one of those "precious" pieces of fabric I have that was overdue to start using.
We had a BMQG meeting today that was so fun.  We had one of our biggest turnouts to date and did a simple show and tell.  Seeing everyone else's work is so inspiring.  I can't wait to get back to my machine!

7 comments:

Liz Jimenez said...

Those ornaments were even cuter in person! Great to see you, bummer that we had to get kicked out at 3!

MalinisQuilts said...

Super cute ornaments!

Wow, that's one giant cute pin cushion.

Love the handwritten note too!

alidiza said...

Your ornaments are beautiful!!! It's so nice to make little things, instant gratification;-)

Aimee said...

The ornaments are awesome! Thank you SOOO much!

Jen said...

Those ornaments are really awesome. I always say that this year is going to be the year I make ornaments. Maybe I'll finally get around to it this year (or next year).

Just Jillbean said...

Love those ornaments Laurie! I should have mine ready to mail out by this weekend :)

Meredith Daniel said...

I love your ornaments! What a cool way to use the pattern. You should add them to the Holiday Craft Bash flickr group!