Thursday, April 18, 2013

MQX New England

On a total whim, I went by myself to the Machine Quilting Expo in Manchester, NH last Saturday.  For the past few years, this show has been held in Providence, RI and I attended it once with a few guild friends.  We all agreed that it wasn't worth such a long drive - it was a relatively small show and it felt like all the quilts were showcasing computerized quilting via longarms - a design choice we just couldn't relate to at all.  Additionally, all the vendors were really geared towards longarm quilting and the few that sold fabric had NO modern fabrics whatsoever. 
 
I am happy to say that my visit to the show this past weekend was much different than the first time I attended MQX.  I didn't have a ton of time to browse - but it was a good show and I even took away some good ideas for my own sewing.  I only took a few pictures of some of my favorite quilts from the show:
 
 
The Learning Quilt by Keith Dommer
I am sure this quilt received a ribbon for the amazing machine quilting but what really struck me was the design and I love the colors.
 
 
 
Mistaken Identity by Gail Stepanek
I loved the use of charcoal gray as the background for bright colors.  The quilting is jaw-dropping, no?

 

Pennsylvania Hearts and Hands by Kelley Cunningham
 
Again, I loved this quilt for the pattern and the sweet feel to it.  I really love a lot of traditional quilts.


Big Bertha by Margaret Solomon Gunn
 
Of course, I had to take a picture of an artful dresden plate.


and of course I had to take a picture of one of my favorite pieces done by the amazing free-motion quilting extraordinaire: Angela Walters!

The bottom half of this picture is what I bought at the show from SewFresh Fabrics and a quilt store called Cottonweeds.  I snuck the other stack of fabric into the picture- it's a recent order from Pink Castle fabrics.  I just thought it was funny to show how obvious my taste in fabric is: obviously, I LOVE monochromatic prints!  The pattern is a portable sewing organizer/tote that I want to make ASAP as a long-overdue present for my sister's birthday (in March... oops!). 


For all my local quilty friends - save a date for August 15-18 for the World Quilt Show, also in Manchester, NH.  It is easily my most favorite quilt show of the year.

1 comment:

MalinisQuilts said...

Beautiful quilts!
Amazing quilting.

Love your fabrics too!