Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"Modern" Cross Stitch?

When I brought my cross-stitch project to work on during a Chelmsford Quilt Guild meeting last week, at least three people made the comment, "That's not very modern" or "That's very traditional."  Of course, this was the meeting following my presentation on modern quilting.  Well, I thought it would be fun to write a quick post about cross-stitch patterns that I have come across that may be more appealling to the "modern" sewer.
 
Shortly after returning from Uganda, I bought a cross-stitch kit and I made this piece when I was unemployed for 3 months, living in Boston.  Cross-stitching was very conducive to our studio apartment, as it is a hobby that doesn't require a lot of space!  Once we moved and I had my own sewing room - I quickly turned to doing a lot of sewing and quilting and didn't do anymore cross-stitching because the patterns I came across were unappealling - I had no interest in pouring hours and hours of time into pictures of kittens, fairies, or eagles - to name a few.
 
(sorry for the fuzzy picture!)
 
Anyway, I recently came across Ondori cross-stitch books from the 1970's and bought several for about $2 each off of half.com.  I understand Ondori to be a company of Japanese origin - and I have to say that a lot of their designs are fun and appealling to me. 
 

I took a few pictures of some of the pages within the books:





I have also recently discovered the UK-based Cross Stitcher magazine- purchased at Joann's.  The last two issues showcase two pillows I intend to make.  They also have a website where you can buy patterns - I have my eye on the dala horse (my husband spent 2 years in Sweden) and this sewing machine design.  You can use the code SPRING2013 for 50% off your next order - but it expires tomorrow- May 1. 


 
My sister continues to speedily sew lots of designs and she thankfully keeps sending them our way.  Gregory isn't allowed to watch Star Wars yet but he likes the look of these characters and I am overdue to make this into a pillow for him.  My sister gets lots of her patterns on etsy.  Redgatestitchery and Danceneedle are two of my many favorites.
 
Finally, just for the heck of it, I wanted to include this snapshot of some cross stitch included in the book Mastering the Art of Embroidery by Sophie Long.  Can you tell what "material" the artist used to sew stitches on?  It took me a minute.  Genious!
 

I can't forget to mention the Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery - their samplers are a lot of fun and the customer service I have received recently was very helpful.  I have now begun their Woodland Sampler.

I promise this isn't becoming a cross-stitching blog but it's just fun to diversify my sewing interests!

1 comment:

MalinisQuilts said...

Cool cross-stitch design.
Oh, I especially love the Star Wars one.