Thursday, May 02, 2013

Quilts for Boston

 
 
Hopefully by now you have heard about BMQG's ongoing project to make quilts for those effected by the Boston bombings.  I didn't want to blog about it until I had actually made some blocks.  You can find all of the details on the guild blog here.
 
 
I decided to make several 12.5" square blocks - tutorials online for this size are readily available and it's kind of fun to search around for them.  I made two blocks from this tutorial - I thought the woven one was so fun - I decided to make two.  These blocks were part of the "Sew Happy Quilt Mixed Sampler Quilt Along."


The bottom left is a tutorial found here- part of the Blockapalooza quilt along.  The bottom right is the infamous X Plus block- the measurements to make a 12.5" (unfinished) block were found on Pinterest (sorry- I am having trouble with the link).  The top block was kind of improvisational- I wanted to showcase the large yellow floral.


The X-Plus block was my favorite one to make - I now finally get why they are so addicting.  I also have to say that it was a lot of fun to make all of these blocks from scraps rather than stash.  My stash is a total disaster area - so it proved much easier to go to my grey, yellow, and blue scrap bins to get materials for all of these.  I also love a "controlled" scrappy look - I don't really love sewing every color and bit together - but creating a cohesive color palette out of scraps really speaks to my taste.


Please consider making a block or two for this cause.  I am psyched for my guild to have dived into this so enthusiastically and the response so far has been generous.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Love all of these. I've yet to be tempted into the X-plus blocks, but I'm close to caving in. I agree though - I like my scrappy quilts to look cohesive too.

Stephanie said...

Great blocks! I especially love that snowball block! It always feels so satisfying to work from scraps for me too :)