Monday, May 13, 2013

Organizing

This post is a brief description of my recent organizing efforts - but first I had to share a funny anecdote on why it's important to have friends who sew - and even the importance of participating in a guild.  I love my husband and he helps support my sewing habit in many ways.  But I really had to have a good laugh when he asked me if the two main projects on my design wall were for the same quilt.  He also thought it was a "given" that the Boston blocks and Liberty X Plus blocks were definitely the same project because there are a few X Plus Boston blocks :)  I had a good laugh.  
 

Anyway- I spent some time this weekend dealing with the overflowing mess of my fabric stash.  It went from this:


to this.  It's still not as pristine as a lot of the beautiful sewing studios you see on many blogs - but at least it's not all about to fall on the floor.  As you can see, I have a lot of blue but I hardly ever use blue - I need to remedy that!
 
 
I also finally organized all of my DMC floss- I had SO much because I have picked up a lot at yard sales over the years.  I had so much in addition to what you see in this picture that I am giving 3 containers to my sister and I still have two big bags of extras (if you are local and want some - just let me know!)
 

Finally- if you haven't noticed yet - I finally organized my blog to look a little more crafty and not so plain.  I had been so intimidated by reading about lots of bloggers paying people to "beautify" their blogs - that I thought I wouldn't be able to figure out how to improve mine- as I am definitely not a computer expert.  So if you are seeing this in a reader- click on over and check out my swanky new banner and my links on the side.  The only thing I want to add is a tab for pictures of my finished quilts - if anyone knows how to do that - please let me know!

4 comments:

Shannon Gillman Orr said...

Good job on the blog spruce up! It can be a little daunting but ere are great tutorials online.

Il, take some of your floss! I'm working on a big project and I'm always up for free stuff. Especially if its something is actually use!

MalinisQuilts said...

Great job organizing. I like those little boxes next to he books.
What do you store in them?

It looks so nice!

Rosa said...

Love your before and after.Great job!

Harriet Toothfighter said...

Floss! I need floss! I even use it and everything!