Friday, May 03, 2013

Hexie Quilt Top Completed

It's finished!  I can hardly believe it.  This quilt was very close to becoming a long-standing UFO.  I got really tired of making the string blocks!  I always thought a string block must be easy and quick - but it has been very slow.  It doesn't help that this whole quilt takes a while with the hand-piecing of the hexagons and the fussiness of trying to line up the four corners of the inset red/pink square.  Not to mention cutting all of those strings - now I do have a fair amount of scraps but most weren't ready-to-use strings - so there was also a whole lot of cutting involved.
 
Enough complaining!  I am very happy with how it came out and I plan to quilt it on my home machine soon.  In addition to lots of scraps, I also used a fat-eighth bundle of Little Apples that I swapped a Wonderland jelly roll for.  Honestly, I think F8 bundles are kind of a joke - I often think even fat quarters are too small for most projects - but the F8 thing worked okay for this quilt.
 

As soon as I laid this quilt top on the ground - Charlotte had to scoot over to it to sit on it.  She is at such a fun age right now.  I know I complained a lot during her first year - but honestly - once she hit 12-ish months - life has been awesome.  I love that nursing is over, that she is starting to play with her brother, her sleeping habits have improved, and her personality is really coming out and she really can be a lot of fun.  If I could skip the newborn stage- I hate to say it, but I probably would.  If babies came out behaving like they do at 1 year - I would probably have 10 more kids....  Just kidding.


Anyway, hopefully I will have this completed soon and can show it off here within the next week or so.  I will be linking this up with Stitched in Color's Scrap Attack - String Fever.  I've said this before, but this quilt is made from a pattern in the book by Tacha Bruecher, Hexa-Go-Go.

16 comments:

Nilya said...

Such a beautiful quilt this will be.

MalinisQuilts said...

Wow! This quilt is awesome!
I love the colors you choose. Can't wait to see it in person.

Its so true about babies, when my daughter was a baby I thought that 12month mark did put her in good schedule. Life was happy :-). Enjoy the precious time.

Stephanie said...

This came out so gorgeous Laurie! Everything works so well together...its such a great summery quilt! Beautiful work :)

emily mcd said...

So beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh I love this. It's so fresh.

Jen said...

Looks awesome. I totally agree with you on the fat eighth cut.

alidiza said...

This came out beautifully!!! I can't wait to see it quilted:-)

Harriet Toothfighter said...

Ooh, I like that one came out. Is Charlotte sitting on the quilt her version of dibs?

Quilterbell said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Stacey Napier said...

It is fabulous - I love your version of this quilt. Amazing job!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Stunning! I love that skinny red border, it just sets the blocks off so well.

Jill said...

Lovely colors!

Suzanne said...

It is clear that a lot of work went into this quilt! Great job.

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Mary Marcotte said...

I love it! Charlotte is a darling little model. She is also showing great taste in quilts. Funny how we can see it already!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

How pretty! I'm so glad that String Fever helped give you some motivation to finish it. It definitely deserved to be finished!