Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chocolate Covered Cherries.

This baby quilt was like an obsession for me over the past week.  A big reason for making this is I wanted to know if I could handle making a queen size - templates scare me - but I am happy to say that I really enjoyed making this and I plan to attempt a larger version in the future.
 
 
 
I didn't cut the pieced feather parts exactly right but I am still happy with how it came out and I didn't want to waste some of my most favorite bits of fabric by redoing them.  Sometimes I get a little too confident when I am following a pattern and I don't study it closely enough.
 

This pattern is just so striking - I really, really like it!  I also continue to be smitten with one of my favorite color combinations: red, pink, and aqua (the chocolate brown addition helps it not to be so sickeningly sweet, don't you think?)  This was all made from stash except for the Kona Espresso 1/4 yard I needed for the stems.

If you are considering making this pattern - please be warned that I think the background fabric requirements are quite "generous."  The pattern calls for two yards but I think I used a little less than one.  The queen size calls for 8 1/4 yards - and that's enough to back the quilt - so I am sure that is a bit too much. 

I am linking this up at the Festival of Strings at Stitched in Color.  Be sure to check out everyone else's beautiful creations:

9 comments:

Jen said...

This is super cute. Are you thinking of using the same fabric/color palette or something different?

Carli The Quilter said...

I like this quilt top a lot. Its amazing what happens when you take a chance with choosing different, fresh ideas for backgrounds!

Carla said...

I love this - I especially love how you used solid pieces for a couple of the feather sides. So cool.

audrey said...

I love the red, black, pink & blue! So striking!

Stephanie said...

This looks fantastic!! Not to mention how totally awed I am that you banged these blocks out in a week!! Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

DanaK ~ WaterPenny said...

Love that blue background!

Nilya said...

Lovely!!! The Aqua Background is great!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love the colors.

Mary Marcotte said...

This is the first time I've seen a feather quilt. Love the design. And the chocolate does add to the cheery--oops, cherry--color!