Friday, September 13, 2013

September Craft Book Month Club: Hexa Go Go

I know I said I was going to blog a different quilt today, but I completed this one last night and I can't wait another minute to share it!  It's my "Little Apples" scrappy, hexie string quilt.  What else can I call it?  It was made following the pattern, Cat Tails Quilt, from the Hexa Go-Go book I received last Christmas.  It measures 70 x 92. 
 

Since booking time to longarm can be difficult with two children and sometimes pricey, I decided to quilt this one at home.  Big mistake.  It took me months to find the time!  Free-motion quilting on my home machine can be very noisy and I usually can only sew when my children are asleep- so I basically could only attend to this project when my husband was around to watch the kids.  We've had a very busy summer and allocating time for this has not been a priority.  Finding time for the hand quilting wasn't as difficult and truly enjoyable  and I love the look of the pink pearl cotton.


I used a fat-eigth Little Apples bundle as well as stash and scrap fabrics to make this quilt.  Initially I wasn't very sold on the sour green in the "Little Apples" collection but I really think it's genious now.  I love the whole look.


I backed the quilt out of about 5.5 yards of a Ric-Rac Rabbits fabric I had originally planned for another fabric.  It was super cheap a while ago - maybe $3 a yard?  I bound it with a aqua/red favorite - a print from the Moda Bliss collection. 

 
I chose this project from the Hexa Go-Go book because I loved the look and it was one of the few projects that didn't have gazillions of hand pieced hexagons.  It was something I felt I could manage and complete in my lifetime.  The directions were decent but I did wish that there was more wording on how to line up the outlines that surround the hexie flowers. I pretty much gave up on trying to line up the scrappy string squares.  Imperfections and all, I do love this quilt and I am pretty proud of it!
 
I finished this project just in time for the Craftbuds September Craft Book Month linky party as well as Crazy Mom Quilt's Finish it Up Friday.  Thanks for reading!
 

9 comments:

Kerstin said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, I love the colors!

Jen said...

I love the hand quilting, I think it completely makes the quilt!

Julianne said...

I love it! Beautiful!

Sarah Fredette said...

This looks absolutely amazing!

alidiza said...

This is fabulous!!! I love the way you fussy cut the hexies to feature the motifs and the binding is perfect:-)

MalinisQuilts said...

This is just beautiful! Its so true, I feel I get more quilting done @ the long arm than if I plan at home.
At home I can never seem find the right time to quilt.

Your quilt is just awesome and I love the little hand stitching around the hexies. Love the binding fabric you choose.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Spectacular! What a wonderful way to include some hexies in a quilt! Great design!

Shauna said...

This quilt is so adorable. Lovely finish!!

Lindsay Conner said...

Laurie, it's so cute! I love the "fussy cut" hexies especially. Thanks for linking up to Craft Book Month!