Thursday, September 05, 2013

Needle and Thread Thursday: X Plus Top Finished

I had hoped to do a lot more outdoor activities over the long Labor Day weekend, but the weather has just been horrible.  We stubbornly went to Walden Pond on Monday but spent half the time out of the water due to thunderstorms.  Everyone keeps talking about being so excited for fall, but I am just not ready for summer to end!
 
 
I have made the best of all the indoor time we've had lately.  I finally finished my X Plus top!  It's 96 x 108, and I've finally decided to give up on getting a full picture of the top.  I will do a full reveal once I quilt and bind it at the end of this month.  I am really happy with how it came out but a bit frustrated with how so many intersections just don't line up as they should.  You can't tell from this picture, so I guess that's a good sign.
 

 
I am not really ready to dive into any big new projects - I have quite a few WIP's that need quilting and I am excited to work on some smaller items.  But I decided to put this next project on my design wall: a Harry Potter twin-sized quilt for my sister.  I bought this panel on eBay last year for a steal - the owner had spelled the listing, "Harry Poter fabric" - and so no one was bidding on or seeing the listing because it was misspelled.  I have seen it sell for up to $75 and I got it for $15 with shipping!  Anyway, the star blocks are from a quilting yard sale I went to in Maine ages ago when Nick and I were on our last kid-less getaway-  I have had them stashed away for over four years!  They were from an old bee a woman had participated in- most of them were made by women in New England and Europe.  I am glad I waited so long to use them, as I think they are a perfect addition to scatter around the panel using some starry black fabric as the background.  I don't think this project will be too difficult and it really needs to get done.  I almost tried to complete this last year before Christmas but I only had a few weeks.  Hopefully I can complete it in time for December 2013!
 


 
When Gregory saw this on my design wall, he stared in amazement and said something like, "Wow!  I haven't never ever seen seen that in a couple a whiles ago!"  It might be tempting to save this for him but he already has quite a few quilts and my sister is truly a die-hard HP fan.  I can thank her for teaching my 18 month old to say, "Dumbledore" a-la this classic video
 
Linking up at My Quilt Infatuation Needle and Thread Thursday:
  
My Quilt Infatuation
 
  Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Laura C @ littleandlots said...

Your x-plus quilt is FABULOUS. You really are queen of the large quilts! It's amazing how great all of those different colorways of Liberty look mixed together. Unexpected cohesion!

Unknown said...

I love your x plus quilt. And I can't wait to see your completed HP quilt. Thanks for sharing!

MalinisQuilts said...

The Harry Potter quilt is so fun!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I LOVE your x+ quilt! I know what you mean though- it's a tough one to get all of the seams to meet appropriately. I had a hard time with mine too. But, you should take comfort in the fact that even though you pointed it out, I certainly couldn't tell!

Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Jen said...

I'm right there with you - I'm so not ready for fall. This summer went by way to fast!

Loving you X-Plus quilt. I can't wait to see the whole thing.