Friday, August 30, 2013

Finish it Up Friday: Kawaii Christmas Countdown Pillow and Super Cape

After doing the enromous Crackle top, I knew I needed to tackle some smaller items to give myself a little break.  I've had this Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery sampler done for quite a while, so it was time to make it into something!  A while ago, I bought this pink Minny Muu wreath fabric on super sale at superbuzzy.com and it's perfect for the Japanese feel of the sampler.  I know a lot of people who would not object to adding some "pink" to their Christmas.
 

This time, I decided to get a little fancy and do a zipper back.  I followed this tutorial and it worked well.  The only thing I don't understand with installing a zipper is: what are you supposed to do with the zipper pull when you are sewing it all in?  I end up lifting up the needle and pulling it down or up which results in some uneven stitching.  If you have any ideas, please comment.


I also made Gregory a super hero cape.  I used the pattern from Thread Riding Hood, found here.  Charlotte has worn this more than Gregory - which means I need to make her one too.  I just need to find my stash of wool felt - my fabric supplies have become very unorganized.


I drew my own lightening bolt because the clipart found online just wasn't right.  This is a borrowed motif from Super Grover - a favorite in our house.


Linking up with Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and Le Challenge for the Heroes Challenge.   Thanks for reading!

13 comments:

Marie said...

Love the Super Cape - everyone needs one. I saw a poster recently that said, "Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman; always be Batman." :)

SeeMaryQuilt said...

Adorable countdown pillow. Love that little abominable snowman!

QuarterMileQuilts said...

Sometimes I need to sew along until I reach the zipper pull, remove from machine & rearrange the pull out of the way, then continue stitching. This helps me keep my stitching straighter. Hope this helps.

Christine said...

The pillow is perfect. I love the frosted pumpkin and the wreath fabric is extra perfect. The cape is great too. I just read your sidebar bio and we have a couple things in common besides crafts. I am social worker (still working but just two days a week now) and I have two kids too.

alidiza said...

Too cute!!! Super kids deserve Super capes;-)

MellieWo said...

So stinking cute! I think the pink looks great :)

Vera said...

Great projects! Well done.

Rachaeldaisy said...

That pillow is so cute. Awesome cape!! . I love that Gregory is his own hero!!

Sarah said...

Very cute cape - awesome hero fabric.

Joanne said...

Fantastic cape!! I have a little girl who would love one of those! She runs around the house with a muslin around her shoulders!!
I love the fabric you used for you Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, makes it a perfect pillow! I always feel like I'm doing a zipper dance when I'm sewing them in!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Absolutely gorgeous makes! The cushion is so kawaii cute! The cape is brilliant and congratulations on winning Le Challenge!

Sherri Sylvester | Thread Riding Hood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherri Sylvester | Thread Riding Hood said...

Thank you so much for sharing your Super Hero cape! You are on the "You made it" post today on Thread Riding Hood. I love your cape, the Ann Kelle fabric is perfect! http://bit.ly/18MkMaZ