Sunday, August 25, 2013

Crackle Top Completed

Thanks for all of the love on the Super Kids quilts my friends.  I really appreciate it.
 
It was a little torturous, but I finally finished this CRAZY BIG "Crackle" top.  I cut the fabrics in March but didn't begin sewing them until May.  I had a lot of other projects demand a higher priority and the pieces from this project have been haunting me as I sewed other things.
 
There are 132 blocks in this top.  The worst was when I was putting together the last row and I realized that I was four blocks short.  Or maybe the worst was when, after assembling the whole top- borders and everything, and I realized that an end row needed to be flipped. But then again, I wasn't that thrilled to see how teenage-ish this thing looks.  It didn't seem so "young" until I actually started assembling the rows.  I actually feel pretty silly that it's actually king size (100x110)- I know I had planned for queen size but I guess I goofed. 
 

Seeing it held up at a distance, like the picture above actually makes me feel better about the whole thing. I really tried to choose light and dark fabrics instead of predomininantly "medium" value that so many of my fabrics are.  I think I achieved the contrast and look I was aiming for.


I will definitely be long-arming this as soon as I can save some pennies and schedule the time!

6 comments:

Jen said...

This turned out awesome, as always. Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Laura C @ littleandlots said...

Nope, it's completely made of awesome, Laurie. The Washi border?! All the colors are amazing, and it looks so cool. I bet you will find that you think it is less "teenager-y" when you have it quilted and get a binding on it. The right binding choice can make such a difference to the look of a top.

alidiza said...

This is fabulous... and big;-) I LOVE that you added a border, it frames it perfectly!!!

Little Island Quilting said...

I think this is absolutely gorgeous. A real hodge modge of colours and styles.

Little Island Quilting said...

*podge* !

MalinisQuilts said...

I really love this quilt! You did a great job with selecting your light and dark fabrics.