Wednesday, August 14, 2013

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPER KIDS!

I am so excited to share a project that I have been working on for the past several weeks: a pair of Super Kids quilts that I designed for Kelle's (of Ann Kelle designs) blog.  Kelle suggested that we feature the quilts separately and I thought it was a great idea.  Today I am going to share the "boy version" and tomorrow I will share the "girl version."  Kelle is sharing my projects on her blog, complete with a full tutorial, here
 
The fact that I am a huge fan of Ann Kelle fabrics should come as no surprise if you've read my blog for any amount of time.  She had me at the whales.  I know it's uncool, in some circles, to be so "fan-girl" but I can't help myself - her designs are so cheerful and fun.  It's a dream come true to have had this opportunity to make these quilts!
 
I had the perfect setting to photograph the boy quilt at a local comic store called Command D's in Dracut, MA.  The owner painted huge murals of a few super heroes around the parking lot of his store and he didn't mind me taking a few pictures there. 
 
 

 

 
The quilt is composed of three different 14.5" (unfinished) blocks meant to showcase the Super Kids, cartoon-ish vibe of the fabrics. 
 
 
One block design borrows a motif from the fabrics, the shields:
 


I have to admit that I dreaded doing the sashing between the blocks.  I consulted a Fons and Porter video on "row alignment" and the whole thing couldn't have gone better!  If you're curious, you can find the video here (it's free).   
 

Previous purchases at Marden's, buried and nearly forgotten in my stash, certainly came in handy to back the quilts.  The boy quilt is sporting a red geometric print by Jennifer Paganelli:


Tomorrow we will reveal the girl quilt and I will share more details about the design and quilting process. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Nilya said...

Gorgeous, and you couln'd find at better Place to make pictures, cool!

Jen said...

Congrats! This is a great quilt and talk about a perfect setting to take those pictures!

MalinisQuilts said...

WOW! This quilt is amazing! Love the backdrop too. Just perfect!

Cambridge Modern Quilt Guild said...

I would have killed (a bad guy) for one of these when I was ten! Love seeing the same quilt with the different color choices.