Saturday, May 31, 2014

Do Your Own Sampler Quilt-A-Long

You know that I love a good QAL and Sarah's DYO Sampler QAL has been on my mind ever since it was announced on Sew Mama Sew.  Deciding what fabrics/color scheme was my only barrier to finally begin.  I almost went super-novelty, by diving into my Halloween fabrics.  I debated finally cutting into my stack of Briar Rose.  I finally decided that using the autumn inspired colors of these two fabrics would be a fun jumping off point, I like that they have both light and dark colors:


So far, the blocks I have made are creations from patterns in my small sewing book library.  The first block I made was a big dresden plate (of course!).  I used the directions from Pillow Pop!


I've been very intrigued by the cute Modern Maple quilts out there and enjoyed making this leaf block, a pattern from Pretty in Patchwork Holidays:

 
I made a "Kitchen Window" block from the Practical Guide to Patchwork:


I finally used a little book called "Quick and Easy Block Tool" to make the classic Churn Dash:


 A log cabin, via Anna Maria Horner's Seams to Me:


 Two selections from Tula Pink's City Sampler:


And finally, here they all are together (sorry for the poor photo!):


I am going to continue to take the opportunity to try out those random blocks I've wanted to make from my books, magazines, and online tutorials.  Just making one block feels so liberating!

Filling in the quilt top and piecing it all together will be a challenge but I am not going to worry too much about it yet. I am sticking to even numbers for block size, so that will hopefully simplify the process.

More soon!  Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

MalinisQuilts said...

I love those two fabrics. Deer seems to be latest trend from quilt market.

Love all the blocks. I was thinking that going improv way to piece the blocks together would be helpful. Just my 2 cents :). Can't wait to see how to finish up. And totally agree on making that just one blog and put into a sample quilter.