Wednesday, May 21, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Teacher Gifts

I have finally entered the phase of needing to make gifts for my children's teachers.  Gregory was only in preschool for about six weeks but I felt the desire to make something nice for his kind teachers anyway.  Having him in preschool has been the most effective tool in easing my adjustment to this move from MA to CO: preschool has helped to improve his behavior, increased his self confidence and personal happiness, allowed me some "down time," and enabled me to accomplish important household duties that might have otherwise been left undone.  (I have found grocery shopping around here to be positively miserable- especially with a child who is too big for the cart !).  

Anyway, Gregory will return to the same preschool with the same teachers in the fall and I am grateful he can continue to learn from them.  I decided to make them some simple patchwork zipped bags out of stash fabrics and other materials I had on hand.  I only had to buy a little interfacing to make these.  


These fabrics are definitely not my style but I think they look cute anyway.  I used some yard sale pre-quilted material as "interlining" and it made them super sturdy: just the way I like it!


On another note:  I usually try not to get too concerned with out-of-print and hard to find fabrics but I am desperately seeking at least a fat quarter of the pink version of the Alexander Henry print: 2D Zoo.  It looks like this: (please note that it's not the "tiny" version).


If you know of where to buy some or have some you'd like to trade or sell, please let me know!  A friend wants me to make them a baby quilt and has requested "girl," "animals," "yellow," "modern," and "not too girly."  I really think this fabric fits the bill!

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

1 comment:

Michele @ Undiscovered Optimist said...

Those bags look like perfect gifts. I have to agree with you on the positive impact preschool can have on kids. My two oldest kids have both thrived in preschool and I hope will continue to do so.

Good luck finding your zoo animal print!