Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Sew Together Bag

Labor Day weekend was such fun!  We squeezed in the Denver aquarium, a visit to some family, a hot air balloon festival, and a hike in the mountains.  Somehow- I still squeezed in a little sewing with friends.  On Friday night, a few people got together to make Sew Together Bags.  I am sure you are familiar with the ubiquitous pattern.  

I have to admit that I really wasn't sure what cut pieces would become what part of the bag, so I decided to go simple and stayed with a simple color pallette:


Patience is required for making this bag but it really feels worth it.  It's such a unique and clever design!  I also think it makes a great gift and I am still debating who to give this to.  It may be set aside for someone special at Christmas.


I keep meaning to blog about my severe obsession with this notion: Wash Away Wonder Tape.  It has completely erased all of my fears about zippers.  I use it instead of pins to keep my zippers in place and it works perfectly.  I have noticed that my zipper foot has become a little gummed up- but it all came off easily.  This stuff costs about 3.49 when notions are 50% off at Joann's.  You can also find the same thing in different packaging in the quilting section of a craft supply store- it's supposed to help with applique I guess.  If you are afraid of zippers- I really urge you to try this stuff out.


Now I am off to make more bags- stay tuned!  Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

4 comments:

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Another adorable bag! I had good intentions of making one of these bags for my back to school gifts for my teenage nieces. BUT a wonderful summer completely destroyed my sewing goals! Well, there's always Christmas! And I too love that tape!

JanineMarie said...

Ooh, I can't get enough of bags--and the more pockets the better. This one is fabulous.

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

I've been seeing these bags all over the blogosphere. I'm tempted, but they look tricky? Are they really doable?

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

I still have yet to make one of these bags but I did get the pattern when I visited Mama Said Sew in Fort Collins. It's on the list .. I even got a handful of fat quarters especially for it. I see that you used one of them as your binding. Great bag!