Friday, August 29, 2014

Three Finishes for Finish it up Friday

Another Ice Cream Social dress, so 2010, I know.  But this pattern is seriously awesome, great for a beginner.  Also, you really don't need a serger, if that's a concern for you.  All of the seams become enclosed except for the sides of the floral fabric, but it's very easy to do a French seam there.


I have to mention that I adore this Japanese fabric- there are kittens among those flowers.  It's a perfect compromise between Charlotte and I: she prefers the novelty/character type fabrics and I love the flowers and geometric prints.




I had to include an outtake of my "photo shoot" for Charlotte wearing this dress.  She tends to smile very vigorously- with her whole body- and she lost her balance here.  It was pretty funny and very cute- so glad I caught the moment!


I also decided to make another Rollerskate Dress (the 6th!) for Charlotte, doing the collar version this time.  I also became brave and finally cut into one of my most favorite fabric collections: Constellations:


I finally used my serger for this project and I am psyched!  Threading it had a steep learning curve but I am thrilled with it and can't wait to use it again.


It always amazes me when I find the perfect vintage button in my small box of thrifted buttons.  Isn't this one dreamy?  It totally goes with the celestial print of the dress.


Not long after this picture was taken, she got a fair amount of peanut butter and jelly on the front of the dress.  Thank goodness for stain spray!


I also finished the baby quilt for my friend in a mom's group I have been attending:


I used leftover pieces of binding and a 2008 aqua print for the back:


Linking up to Finish it up Friday.

8 comments:

Tina G @ ModGeometry said...

Hey Laurie! It's me, Tina G :) Wow, you have been busy! Charlotte is so big now. I love her blond hair and her cute smile. Great job on her dresses and the quilt. I might need to look into that Ice Cream Social dress since it's so easy :) I have been away from blogging for a while. Lots going on but I'm getting back into the swing of things at ModGeometry. I'm going to have to catch up on your earlier posts!

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is adorable. Love both of the dresses. That button is awesome on the blue dress. I miss sewing for my daughter. At 13 she is into tshirts and jeans. No more sweet little dresses. :-(

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

Your daughter looks like she loves her dresses.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Cute, cute and cute again - love it all!

Beth said...

Everything is adorable!

Lorna McMahon said...

Those two dresses, and your model, are all so cute! Lovely work, mom!!! And that sweet baby quilt is sure to be loved!

Unknown said...

Wow! What fabulous makes! I love the constellations fabric x

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Great way to use up binding scraps! These fit the quilt so very well that no one would guess they were not intended just for it. Thanks for sharing!