Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thrifting Finds and a New Dress

Before and after the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild Meeting last Saturday, I went to several yard sales.  At the meeting, a member shared some cute City Gym shorts - a pattern that has already been printed out and waiting for me....  But part of my delay was not having a bias tape maker - I've made bias tape without that gadget but it sure would be nice..........  And it was awesome that I found one new in the package at one of the yard sales I went to after the meeting!  I also scored this adorable vintage corduroy with bunnies and flowers, schmetz machine needles, and that sweet black/pink vintage print.  This particular yard sale was primarily filled with the stash of fabrics and supplies from a deceased quilter.  I tried to negotiate lower prices on several pieces of solid fabrics and the family was so offended, it made me feel like a criminal!  I wasn't pushy at all but they were pretty determined to get high dollar for their stuff.  I went away feeling really weird about the experience....


But all was redeemed when I found this vintage quilt top at the next yard sale for only $15.  It's in really pristine condition- no holes and I spotted only one small stain on one of the fans.


I mean, come on, can I really be "Dresden Lane" if I didn't rescue this top?




I definitely have a knack for finding nice vintage sewing goods but my weakness is in actually using them- so I am really proud to say I've already made a dress from the bunny fabric I found last Saturday:




I love this Ice Cream Social Dress pattern.  The corduroy wasn't too difficult to work with- I hope I might have enough left to make a fall jacket for her- I love the primary colors.  Linking up to Finish it up Friday.

8 comments:

Beth said...

Great vintage quilt!

Sarah Fredette said...

A-mazing Laurie!!! Both the corduroy and the dresden quilt. And Charlotte looks adorable!

Rosa said...

Beautiful dresden and Charlotte is adorable!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous dress - so cute. I definitely agree you have to rescue the Dresden Quilt - it is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Schulz Family said...

visiting from crazy mum quilts. Oh I love an amazing thrift find. That is sooo me and dresden plate - wow how lucky are you! Love the dress too. Great sewing

Anonymous said...

The dresden quilt top is a great find!!!! I would have been over the moon to see that at a yard sale. Yay.

The dress is so sweet as is the model wearing it. ;-)

motherof5 said...

Very sweet!

La Nouille said...

All the dresses you make for your cute daughter are just gorgeous! You are very talented.