Wednesday, August 06, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Giant Star and Purge Backing

Last weekend, I finally cut into some more of my Uganda fabrics to make a giant star quilt (tutorial from In Color Order, found here).  A while ago, I had a loose goal to make one quilt a year from my Uganda fabrics and unfortunately I have only completed two and it's been exactly seven years since we returned from our time there.  

This quilt was super quick but I have to admit that it was still a bit of a challenge for me.  I think that working with large cuts of fabric can be just as difficult as working with tiny pieces sometimes.  My finished HST units were quite wonky and I found that cutting a 16.5" square template piece out of pattern paper was the easiest way to square everything up.  

I also have to admit that it was quite difficult to use up one of the two yards of the Sunflower fabric I had left! It is the most striking, beautiful fabric!!!!  


As part of "the purge"- I went ahead and made a backing out of some of my un-loved blue fabrics from my stash.  My blue fabrics are seriously overflowing - I guess I reach for pink, red, and yellow a lot more often.  I chose blue fabrics that are hard to use: most being prints with other dominant colors.  I find that I use monochromatic prints much more often than multi-colored prints.


Linking up with "The Purge" at Stitched in Colorand "WIP Wednesday" at Freshly Pieced.

7 comments:

Izzy said...

I've had that giant star on my To Do List forever! Yours looks amazing. I love that sunflower fabric. I've been using my unloved fabric for quilt backs too. Such a good way to use it up! :-)

Sarah Fredette said...

Oh Laurie!!! Do I even need to tell you how much I love this? It's absolutely stunning!

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love the colours in the star! Beautiful! I can see why it is a challenge to use it. The back is great. I just love the pieced look. My next back, well a back down the road a piece, will definitely be pieced! Love it!

Georgi said...

Love the contrast between the blue fabrics and the yellow background ~ gorgeous!!

Stacey @slostudio said...

Love the giant star!

Unknown said...

That's a great idea for a backing. Love the blues and yellows.

MalinisQuilts said...

Beautiful star!
What a great way to use your unloved fabrics.

Sewing with large blocks could be hard sometime. But I have a 20" square up ruler which comes in handy. Its by omni-grid. I have made at least couple quilts with big blocks using this ruler.Its a big time saver.