Friday, August 08, 2014

Capes and Weekend Sewing Plans

More "Purge" projects with some super capes for two birthday parties we have this weekend.  The birthday children are turning five and three and these cute capes were a fun project to make for them.  Every time I do something like this, I make sure to remind my husband how much money we are "saving" (because this sewing hobby is so cheap.....) when I make presents from stash rather than buying presents at the store. ;)

I am seriously scared that my novelty/children's fabrics stash will still be around to use when I have grandchildren, so it always feels so good to use up some of it:


I really do have a small shelf with "rainbow" fabrics, curated mostly before my tastes in fabric really changed, and I never use them.  This wavy stripe is about as old as my marriage, a find on one of my very first Marden's visit:


My friend Cassie and my sister are coming to visit from today until this Tuesday and I asked Cassie if she'd want to make the Cargo Duffel bags together.  I am in the throes of all the wavy organic straight-line quilting and wondering how people make multiples of this project.  Wish us luck!


Linking up to Stitched in Color and Finish it up Friday.

2 comments:

Christine S said...

Good luck with the bags, can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

a maidenhair fern said...

Congratulations on the use of your "old as your wedding fabric"! must feel good. Those are some fun capes. I'm sure I'll be making some before too long.