Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thrifting and 10 Quilty Secrets

Last weekend I went to an epic estate sale of a deceased quilter.  Good or bad, I only discovered it on the last day of the sale- which means I probably missed out on a lot of great stuff but it also means that the third party running the sale was much more willing to lower prices.

I couldn't resist this box of vintage silk small thread spools, I want to somehow use them to decorate my sewing room:


And this is most of the rest of my haul: a light box (for paper piecing- my most exciting find!), lots of paper piecing supplies, tons of interfacing, a dressmaker's ham (for ironing curves), and a few other items.


New topic:  I can't resist any longer, I want to play along with the "10 Quilty Little Secrets" of 13 Spools.  Here we go:

1.  I don't prewash my fabric ever: not for clothes, not for the color red.  I only make the exception for flannel and even then I don't always pre-wash.
2.  I am super cheap.  I rarely buy any sewing item- especially fabric- for full price.  Finding a bargain is part of the fun.
3.  I don't like pre-cuts and any fat quarter collection I buy will inevitably be distributed among numerous projects.
4.  I rarely shop locally and prefer online shopping and I don't feel bad about this.  Local shops rarely have sales, do not carry the items I want, and have hours that cater to retired empty nesters.
5.  I love the color blue but I rarely use it- I gravitate more towards warmer colors.  I prefer brights and wish some of my favorite designers would stop doing pastels so much.
6.  I still love reading blogs and prefer it to Instagram.
7.  I blog because I really like doing so.  I don't get why so many bloggers act like it is such a chore- why do it if you don't enjoy it?
8.  I join guilds to meet people and make friends who have similar interests as me.  Learning something new is a bonus.
9.  Being in guild leadership was tough.  Too much drama for me, I am taking a break for an indefinite amount of time.
10.  I keep most of what I make even though it seems very fashionable to give everything away.  I am working on letting go more- but I find it difficult to make something with another's tastes in mind.  Also, most people are very appreciative of handmade gifts but I guess I have let the few negative experiences become too powerful.

How about you?  What are your quilty secrets?  Linking up with 13 Spools.

4 comments:

Kristyn @ Melon Patch Quilts said...

Guild drama is the worst! I quit the executive and being a member all together for years but did join the local MQG last year. Thankfully the members are amazing and friendly!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with 2, 4, and. 6. I love thrifting for good fabric finds. I have been really lucky with this lately. I enjoyed your list!

NM_Creatrix said...

I love #7. I too blog for me, and do not really care if anyone else reads my blog or not. I use it like a diary, and love the 10 quilty secrets! Mine are at creativitycontinium.com

LA Paylor said...

I relate to 6.7.8.and 10

I prewash not because of bleeding although uneven shrinkage and bleeding are a mess, but because of chemicals in the finishing of mass produced fabric. After a few years I because very sensitive to them.
Going to look around your blog, I love blogs and blogging! It's a connection thing. Bet you are an extrovert?
LeeAnna at not afraid of color
lapaylor.blogspot.com