Monday, December 21, 2015

Owen's Stocking

 Yesterday afternoon I finished Owen's Christmas stocking.  When I started English paper piecing the hexagons a few weeks ago, I told myself, "There is no pressure to get this done in time for Christmas."  Truly.  We literally bought him a beanie baby and that's all he's getting from us for Christmas.  He doesn't need a thing.  He's 7 months old and doesn't know the difference between Christmas and any other day.  Maybe I sound like Scrooge but I am chalking it up to experience as a parent (we spoiled Gregory on Christmas when he was just a few months old and in hindsight, it seems a bit silly) and trying to be frugal.


 Anyway, I am really pleased the stocking is done and I love how it came out.


I accidentally ordered a full yard of the fox fabric (Festive Forest collection, designed by Tamara Kate) - so I put a bunch on the back:


I had a lot of trepidation about the non-traditional color pallet of Owen's stocking but I wanted it to be a bit different than the other kids stockings.  I think they all go together pretty well without being too different or matchy-matchy.



I've been meaning to blog this for years, but Nick's paternal Grandma has a tradition of making her grandchildren and great grandchildren Christmas stockings out of older family quilts.  She is so talented and well into her 90's but still churning out amazing projects like this:


On the back of each stocking, she has a family genealogy on the back, starting with the quilt's maker.

Here's all four of the stockings:


We do have a fireplace in our home but no mantel.  Any good ideas for hanging stockings as decorations?  Thanks for reading!

Total stash fabric used in this post: .5 yards
Total stash fabric used since 1/1/15: 94.75 yards
Total stash fabric used to date: 98.25  yards

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I am catching up on blog reading today and just read you question about hanging stocking. One of my daughters has built in bookcases on either side of the fireplace and since the TV is above the fireplace she hangs the stocking on the book cases using stocking hangers.
My other daughter also using the top of her IKEA bookcase to hang the stockings.
We have a fireplace and a mantle but because we have a woodstove insert that sticks out from the fireplace front I would never hang the stockings above it for fear they would fall. I have hung them on the high window sills of the windows on either side. At one time, I added command hooks on the wall on one side of the fire place. It never mattered to the kids as long as they were full on Christmas morning.

Seo services in faridabad said...

Wow! Very nice designs and colors..Thanks for sharing..