Friday, March 04, 2016

Finish it up Friday: Princess Birthday Quilt

 At last weekend's retreat, the first project I worked on was binding the birthday quilt for my daughter.  A few weeks ago, a kind friend allowed me to come over and use her longarm to quilt it.  I had been stressed about finishing the quilt, making secret sister items, and preparing my own projects for the retreat.  Being able to quickly longarm quilt this in one evening was a real time saver.

This picture shows the back of The Hideaway, where we had the retreat:


 The quilting is an all-over meander.  Time constraints didn't allow for anything more complex, plus the fabrics were so busy, I didn't think it needed too much more.


The pattern is "Kitchen Windows" from Elizabeth Harman's The Practical Guide to Patchwork.


I backed the quilt in coordinating prints from my stash.  I purchased the binding at a LQS; I need to get in a better habit of stashing fabrics larger than a half yard because it's almost always a struggle to bind from the stash.


Charlotte's birthday was on Monday, February 29.  She's a leap year baby and we tried to make the day extra special, since we could actually celebrate it on the 29th (which only comes every four years).


She likes the quilt and has slept with it every night since receiving it.  She does have a lot of quilts already but she was particularly excited about those adorable princess fabrics and I am excited I finally put them to use.


Somehow I got really behind on my "stash used" tally, so this accounting will reflect not only the quilt but several previous posts (secret sister items, 241 tote, Make it Take it tote):

Total stash fabric used in the past four completed items posts: 7.75 yards
Total stash fabric used since Januar 1, 2016: 7.5 yards
Total stash used to date: 15.25 yards

Linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

5 comments:

Sarah Fredette said...

Happy Birthday, Charlotte!!! This quilt is really awesome, Laurie. The black window sashing keeps it from getting too saccharine, but it's still super, super girly. :D

Alison V. said...

This looks adorable! Happy birthday to the leap day lady!

Customieze said...

a beautiful quilt!

Kitty | Night Quilter said...

This quilt is beautiful and Charlotte looks thrilled! Gorgeous!

Mary Marcotte said...

Hope your little sweetie had a wonderful birthday! Her quilt is beautiful. Her face says it all.