Friday, March 18, 2016

Finish it up Friday: Vintage Kitchen Projects

 Sometimes I "save money" by making gifts instead of buying them at the store.  It's often rewarding and fun to make something special for someone special.  That being said, I don't really save a lot of money if you consider what I've already spent on fabric and other supplies and I definitely don't save time.  For my sister's recent birthday, I really was willing to buy something off of her list and call it done.  But that plan was foiled when I learned that my mom had already gotten her everything from her birthday list.  (We are definitely "list people" when it comes to giving gifts in my family).

In the past, I've made her a quilt, a tote bag, and a few zip bags.  I knew it was time to do something different.  I have a precious little bundle of Vintage Kitchen fabric that I adore.  (This collection is adorable and it felt refreshing to have something in my stash besides the typical AMH, Tula Pink, Lizzy House, etc.)  I started with a large hot pad made with VF and lots of scraps.  We have one of these (made by a friend in a long ago BMQG swap) and use it pretty much every evening.  This measures 16":



With the large one being so busy, I decided to do one-fabric hot pads, measuring 8":


 I bought an inexpensive pack of dish towels at TJ Maxx and sewed some patchwork square strips along the ends.  It's a great scrappy project, tutorial found at Crazy Mom Quilts.




Here's a picture of it all together, along with some fun items from the housewares section at TJ Maxx.  Ok, so I guess I still went shopping!  

Linking to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

3 comments:

Anna J.White said...

Hi you are doing a great job. I found it on your page its really amazing. Thanks for sharing such a valuable information. I am sure that these are your own views. I hear exactly what you’re saying and I’m so happy that I came across your blog. Thus, you made me feel like I should learn more about this. I’m officially a huge fan of your blog.

vickie said...

Nice job! I love the dish towel idea. They sound like a great gift idea.

Shania said...

Hi nice reaading your post