Monday, March 21, 2016

Guild Lecture and Class on Bag Making

Over the past few months, I've become more involved in attending the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild (FRMQG) meetings.  I took a long break after having my baby last May but I am so glad I've come back to the guild and have made it more of a priority now.  

I offered to teach a little presentation on bag making to the guild this past Saturday.  I gathered all of my bags to use as visuals for my little talk.  Everyone really thought I had a lot of bags and I guess I do.  I don't think it's excessive if you consider I've been making bags for a long time and I use them frequently.  I also give a lot of bags away as gifts.  

In my presentation, the bulk of my talk was focused on the different types of interfacing available.  I even brought samples to pass around and they were parceled out as a giveaway at the end.  I talked about my favorite bag pattern designers, recommended fabrics, and lots of "tips and tricks."  I received a lot of positive feedback at the end of the meeting, which made me feel good.


After the lecture, I taught a bag making class to eight ladies (not all pictured).  The pattern we worked on was the 241 tote.  It was a really fun afternoon.  Everyone either finished or made a lot of progress.  They all had different skill levels with sewing and bag making, so everyone went at a different pace.  This seemed to work out okay, it might have been more difficult if the group were a lot larger.


One class member, Leslie, nearly finished this beauty.  She quilted the tiger fabric, made her own piping, and she had extra hardware.  She definitely could have taught the class!  Isn't it gorgeous?!


I spent a lot of time preparing for the lecture and the class.  Right now I feel a little relieved to have it all done and I am excited to re-focus on my own projects cluttering my sewing room.

(Sorry for the crummy iphone pictures, I didn't remember my "real" camera in all the rush of bringing so many other extra things to the meeting!).

No comments: