Saturday, January 22, 2011

AB Love Quilt

It's hard to know what to do for people when you know they are going through a hard time. It's easier to know what to do when that friend also lives in a poorly insulated Boston apartment and you know how to quilt. I have had these Amy Butler "Love" fabrics for about one year and it was finally time to use them! I went for a quicky and simple design and finished the whole thing in about two weeks. I have waited to blog about it's completion until I was able to give it to my friend. It's a simple patchwork design made of 8.5" squares - measuring @ 80" x 88".


I used that "mistake" purchase of the Kona Cotton midnight to back the quilt, with a strip of a Love fabric down the middle. I quilted it with the "stitch in the ditch" method.

I bound it in a honeycomb Midwest Modern fabric - the only piece of matching fabric that I had enough of to use. It matched pretty well and created the illusion of a stripe.
I am so grateful for my friendship with this friend - we met on a volunteer abroad program to South Africa - a trip that happened almost 9 (!) years ago. We have gone so many different directions since then, but we always manage to "pick up where we left off" and I am so grateful for her. I hope that this quilt will bring her some extra warmth and also serve as a reminder of my gratitude for friendship.

3 comments:

MadeByMeaghan said...

This is so beautiful! It's amazing how a design so simple can have such an impact! Glad you got to use up that Midnight fabric too! :)

Just Jenn said...

Aw what a heartwarming post. It's a lovely quilt that anyone would appreciate but especially more so since it's made with so much love for an old friend in a too cold apartment. ^^

Joanna said...

I bet she just loved it - anything made by a friend is doubly special:) And you got to use up that fabric on the back! Yay! It's so perfect for it!