Friday, April 08, 2011

Fabric Friday

Before I do my fabric Friday segment, I have a few other things on my mind. I spent most of yesterday at Laurena's Longarm quilting studio - I finished two more quilts - woohoo! I will post those soon but couldn't resist showing this picture of my little guy who was literally hurling himself onto his "big boy" blanket when I came home. (I hope this is a good sign that he will actually like this one!) This week I have also been catching up on bee blocks. I don't know how people participate in multiple bees - two is about all that I can handle. I have never been late before - but I did get a bit behind. Monet requested huge spider web blocks for our Boston Modern Quilt Guild bee. She made starting easy with sending precut fabrics. I have to admit that I was really intimidated by this block for some reason but now I am really interested in doing one of these for myself one day. It's hanging on my design wall right now and people who have come over have really loved it - it's a big hit with Nick too. Monet's fabric choices are impeccable . Patchwork Duck (Nicole) asked for simple square in square blocks with batik and bright cottons. I am about a week late with these, so I went ahead and made two.
Mary asked that we use the vase fabric as our focus to make a square or a rectangular block of any size. No size requirements made my day - I am SO bad at figuring out the math on even the simplest of blocks.
OKAY - onto Fabric Friday:


For the first time ever, I cut up one of my son's baby shirts! I was so scared to cut into this darling little button-up shirt, but he's long outgrown it and it's perfect for the little project I am doing for him. When I bought this shirt, I knew I was going to cut it up eventually because the print is SO cute - you can't see it in the picture, but those little spots are teeny tricycles.
Even though I love crazy, multi-colored prints, I have been thinking about how I really love simple fabrics too - particularly monochromatic fabrics or simply one color with white. I also love basic fabrics - you all know I love me some polka dots- but when I can find a basic that is not a dot or a stripe - I totally go for it.


This first picture is Wishing Flowers by Andrea Victoria:
Henna Garden by Sandi Henderson:
Sanctuary by Patty Young:
I hope everyone has a great weekend!

3 comments:

Micmacker said...

How did I miss the "Wishing Flowers" print? How??

Aimee said...

Fab choices, as usual. Your little man is getting so big! Can't wait to see what you do with his old shirt!

MadeByMeaghan said...

I am always impressed with your eye for fabric! And Gregory is just amazing. I love seeing quilts "in action"?